Connecting multiple PC's to Cox

chroniker

Just signed on with Cox in Central TX and today I was going through my acct info and found this -

Multiple Computer Access means that you can hook up more than one computer to a single cable modem. This is done by setting up a simple Local Area Network (LAN). Use this page to enable your modem to give access to additional computers. Remember that Internet access for one (1) computer is included in your service and that adding another will mean an additional monthly charge.

Your cable modem is listed below. Computers Allowed tells you how many computers will be allowed to gain Internet access through a modem.

You have already enabled the maximum number of computers for your account.

Modem Manufacturer Modem MAC Address   Status Computers Active    Computers Allowed

AMBIT                         *******************        Active           4                       3

All I did was hook up a router that had 4 devices plugged into it.

Did you catch this part -

Remember that Internet access for one (1) computer is included in your service and that adding another will mean an additional monthly charge.

What difference does it make how many divices I use as long as I don't exceed the bandwidth that I'm paying for?

It's the same set up I had on DSL, which I set up myself.

After further reading, I find this in Cox's "Acceptable Use Policy " -

13. # Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations.  Cox offers multiple packages of Service with varying speeds and features and bandwidth usage limitations (not all packages are available in all areas). You must comply with the current bandwidth, data storage, electronic mail and other Limitations of Service that correspond with the package of Service you selected. In addition to complying with the limitations for specific features, you must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict, inhibit, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in Cox