DSL to offer ~35Mbps, to end users

eduncan911

There's a post or two in the BellSouth forum here about when ADSL2+ comes out next year (binded lines/pairs).  I have a friend that works for BellSouth and he's the one who first told me (I'm a little behind the times).

That would be awesome...  Makes me think about getting a home phoneline again.

We have a local Co. here and they are advertising on TV that they offer 20Mbps DSL, I thought OK I'll bite, when I inquired about it I told him I was about 18,000' away from the CO. and would I still get that speed, after himming and hawing he said well more like 3 to 5 Mbps. CLICK! that's what I thought.......lol

Below is an illustration, if you are not camped out on their doorstep it sucks.

The downside to cable though is a shared bandwidth.  I got my scores late at night like around midnight.  Right now I'm lucky to get above 4Mbps since I near a large business community (lots of buildings).

Bottomline for me is whoever will offer the fastest upload is who I'm going to go to cause I work out of my house.

The downside to cable though is a shared bandwidth.  I got my scores late at night like around midnight.  Right now I'm lucky to get above 4Mbps since I near a large business community (lots of buildings).

Bottomline for me is whoever will offer the fastest upload is who I'm going to go to cause I work out of my house.

DSL is shared too. It's just that on cable you're connected through a node (neighborhood) vs. DSL were you are shared from the CO on. They're just shared at different locations.

"(Digital Subscriber Line) - a [glow=red,2,300]high-speed dedicated digital circuit[/glow] from a given location to the telephone company's central office, using normal copper telephone lines."

DSL is always the guaranteed (advertised) speed.. Cable is shared and speeds vary depending on number of users online.. DSL is not like that :)

DSL is always the guaranteed (advertised) speed.. Cable is shared and speeds vary depending on number of users online.. DSL is not like that :)

DSL is not always guaranteed. Just because you have a "dedicated" line to the CO office, within xx thousand feet mind you, it does not guarantee that you will always get your advertised speeds.

Quote from Verizon's web site:

"Actual throughput speed will vary. Speed and uninterrupted use of the service are not guaranteed"

Also from Verizon's own site, the same reliability as Comcast:

verizoncomcast.png

DSL is not always guaranteed. Just because you have a "dedicated" line to the CO office, within xx thousand feet mind you, it does not guarantee that you will always get your advertised speeds.

Quote from Verizon's web site:

"Actual throughput speed will vary. Speed and uninterrupted use of the service are not guaranteed"

Also from Verizon's own site, the same reliability as Comcast:

verizonComcast.png

You're right.. I always assumed it was the same speed cuz I was in the city and probably close to where their CO office is.. :)