Probably worst "high-speed" internet ever

bcraig15

So I moved into my apartment for college, and I learn that the entire complex of about 120 rooms of 4 people each shares a single T3 line and 1 router. The average download speed is around 150kbps, the upload is around 300kbps. And the worst part??? We have a "fair use bandwidth limit," each computer can only have so much bandwidth either way every 24 hours on a rolling basis. The "fair" amount of bandwidth is set at 250MB. If you go over that, your connection is cut in like 1/4 of the already slow speed until you go back under it again. What a joke!

sorry, I was mistaken in the first post. We don't have a T3, most apartments around here do, but we have 2 T1 lines. That is like sharing your cable connection with the whole neighborhood. And ya, I was refering to Kbps (not KB) when I said we got 150. I mean I have to download software for my computer science class that is over 600MB, that is like 3 days right there. It is so slow that we constantly get pages that time out. I wasn't expecting too much from the apartment internet, but they didn't tell us any of this beforehand. This isn't even enough to get our classwork done, much less anything else. I did pay a fee for the internet, but it was a sum of all utilities so I am not sure how much. We are probably going to be getting our own cable bb service, so hopefully I won't have to put up with this much longer. :(

My friend who was at University of Detroit use to download at 1kb/s sometimes and slower on busy nights.  One game he played was instant messaging someone and then seeing if he could beat the instant message to the people on the other floors...

BTW: most of the time he did.

I think they had around 1000+ people on a single T1.