Bitlord slows down connection

babbtong

Hi all, I just recently got FIOS, around the same time my sister got her new computer.  Well, we started to share the 5/2 Fios connection, her being wireless and me being hooked up to the router directly.  I've started to notice that when either she or I run Bitlord ( a bittorrent client) our connection speed will go down about half...even when the download/upload is going at say 30 kb/20kb.  I could understand the connection slowing down if all of the bandwidth were being used, but only a fraction is!  What could be the problem?  Also, when I have my computer on for a period of time, I'll notice random times when I cannot connect to the AIM server or the Google webpage (I have it as my homepage) but I can access other websites, and still play online games like Counterstrike or Starcraft.  Anybody have problems like this or know what's going on?

EDIT:

Actually, I just remembered that on MY computer, the connection won't actually slow down until about maybe 2-3 hours...then it'll slow down to about half of what it should be, regardless of her/me download speed/upload speed. 

Here is one comment from the download.com website user review:

A ripoff of Bitcomet

13-Aug-2005 02:07:08 AM

Reviewer: driftheory

Pros: Why do i have the list the pros when there isn't any. It's a worthless torrent client

Cons: Its a cheap imitation of bitcomet with ***** extras. It identifies itself as bitcomet 1.01 (when it's certainly not)and this program leeches the hell out of every other downloader using the same torrent.

I would recommend using other clients such as ABC or Azureus (which is for more powerful computers). As for the other problem of yours with the webpages, if you could please post a log from a hijackthis scan as a reply, it will help us to see if you have any spyware that may cause this problem. Also, before running a scan with Hijackthis, please scan your computer(s) with Ad-aware and Spybot search & destroy if you haven't done so already.. :)

EDIT: Since I saw your edit after posting, this could also be caused by the number of connections that are made by this BT program, cuz if you have a large number of incoming and outgoing connections regardless of the downloading/uploading speed, they can slow down your internet, cuz BT tries to keep up those connections (when connected to peers or seeds).. I don't think this applies here as your connection is broadband, but it possibly could.. Since your router is wireless, someone could've hacked into your internet connection as well, but I have no experience with wireless routers and cannot help you there unfortunately.. Lets hope its one of the others :)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 2:56:18 PM, on 8/28/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:WINDOWSSystem32smss.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32winlogon.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32services.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32lsass.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32svchost.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32svchost.exe

C:WINDOWSExplorer.EXE

C:WINDOWSsystem32spoolsv.exe

C:Program FilesDaemonUIDaemonUI.exe

C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesVirusScanSHSTAT.EXE

C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesCommon FrameworkUpdaterUI.exe

C:Program FilesCommon FilesNetwork AssociatesTalkBacktbmon.exe

C:Program FilesJavajre1.5.0_04binjusched.exe

C:Program FilesZone LabsZoneAlarmzlclient.exe

C:Program FilesAIMaim.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32ctfmon.exe

C:Program FilesDudezProtoWallProtoWall.exe

C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesCommon FrameworkFrameworkService.exe

C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesVirusScanmcshield.exe

C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesVirusScanvstskmgr.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32nvsvc32.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32ZoneLabsvsmon.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32MsPMSPSv.exe

C:Program FilesWinRARWinRAR.exe

C:DOCUME~1MeLOCALS~1TempRar$EX00.625HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:Program FilesAdobeAcrobat 7.0ActiveXAcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: NTIECatcher Class - {C56CB6B0-0D96-11D6-8C65-B2868B609932} - C:Program FilesXiNetTransport 2NTIEHelper.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:WINDOWSSystem32msdxm.ocx

O4 - HKLM..Run: [iMJPMIG8.1] "C:WINDOWSIMEimjp8_1IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32

O4 - HKLM..Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:WINDOWSSystem32IMETINTLGNTTINTSETP.EXE /SYNC

O4 - HKLM..Run: [PHIME2002A] C:WINDOWSSystem32IMETINTLGNTTINTSETP.EXE /IMEName

O4 - HKLM..Run: [DaemonUI] C:Program FilesDaemonUIDaemonUI.exe

O4 - HKLM..Run: [shStatEXE] "C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesVirusScanSHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE

O4 - HKLM..Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesCommon FrameworkUpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey

O4 - HKLM..Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:Program FilesCommon FilesNetwork AssociatesTalkBacktbmon.exe"

O4 - HKLM..Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] C:Program FilesJavajre1.5.0_04binjusched.exe

O4 - HKLM..Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:Program FilesZone LabsZoneAlarmzlclient.exe

O4 - HKLM..Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:WINDOWSSystem32NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM..Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:PROGRA~1AIMDeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs

O4 - HKLM..Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd

O4 - HKLM..Run: [soundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE

O4 - HKCU..Run: [AIM] C:Program FilesAIMaim.exe -cnetwait.odl

O4 - HKCU..Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:WINDOWSSystem32ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU..Run: [ProtoWall] C:Program FilesDudezProtoWallProtoWall.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10OSA.EXE

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Net Transport - C:Program FilesXiNetTransport 2NTAddList.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Net Transport - C:Program FilesXiNetTransport 2NTAddLink.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:PROGRA~1MICROS~2Office10EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:Program FilesJavajre1.5.0_04binnpjpi150_04.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:Program FilesJavajre1.5.0_04binnpjpi150_04.dll

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:Program FilesAIMaim.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:Program FilesMessengerMSMSGS.EXE

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:Program FilesMessengerMSMSGS.EXE

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1124996442718

O16 - DPF: {8B7D2210-CC81-4F59-A486-4409FB485D4A} (RegConfig Class) - http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/includes/vzTCPConfig.cab

O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesCommon FrameworkFrameworkService.exe

O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesVirusScanmcshield.exe

O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:Program FilesNetwork AssociatesVirusScanvstskmgr.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:WINDOWSSystem32nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:WINDOWSsystem32ZoneLabsvsmon.exe

Hmmm...well, I installed Peerguardian 2 on my computer, and I also limited my sisters max upload to 100 kb/s, and did the same on mine...and now whenever she's using BT, it doesn't slow down.  HOWEVER, there will be periods in both of our connections where for whatever reason, we won't be able to connect to anything.  Tried Google.com, yahoo.com, the AIM client, MSN.com...and can't connect to anything.  After rebooting, or just waiting a while, we'll get full connectivity again...this is really odd.  She doesn't use any IP blocking software, so I doubt it's that.  She uses WinXP service pack 2 and AVG, which are really the only things that differ in our setups...help!

Well, I don't know for ProtoWall, but PeerGuardian blocks advertising from some websites (e.g.: MSN, Yahoo...) and can cause them not to load, but you can disable that through opening Peer Guardian and clicking on allow HTTP or just closing the firewall completely.. Since this problem was occuring before, one cause for it could be the windows hosts file located in the drivers/etc folder in the system folder (e.g.: C:Windowssystem32driversetc), but this could hardly be the reason for it, cuz u could access the internet before using BitLord.. Maybe something alters your hosts file not to allow certain websites to load (hosts file tells windows what connections to reject).. I don't know how ProtoWall blocks connections or if it blocks them at all, but it could alter the hosts file to block some connnections if it has that function.. But I think that can hardly be it.. What Operating System and Service pack do you have installed on your pc? Windows XP and SP2?

I have XP with SP1.  Man this is getting annoying.  There will be moments for no reason at all where I just can't connect to anything, except for Steam servers(for Counterstrike) and this 1 webpage that always loads for some reason.  Argh this is getting frustrating.

• 3 months later...