Spyware

Guest PeePs

Anyone know a REALLYYYYYYY good spyware removal program (besides Spybot Search and Destroy, Webroot Spysweeper, and Adaware)? I have scanned a few times with each of these but nothing will get rid of this @$@$@ #%$#@% $#@$@#$@ #$#@$# spyware! I'm starting to think that the spyware is slowing my connection down, and it wasn't the Windows XP SP2 after all.

yeah i already tried a virus scan with Norton Antivirus. Didn't find any. :( Looks like im ganna have to friggin restore or something. Oh yeah, can spyware make your windows have to reload a lot? Cause like just right now in a matter of 1 hour my windows icons and toolbar all disappeared and loaded back up or something twice. **** MY POS COMPUTER!

I know I had to run "Hijak this" and really root the crap out. I was really suprised at the crap I found. I learned the hard way. TURN OFF system restore before you change anything in the hijak this file. You'd be suprised at how many things you "thought" you fixed but come right back on reboot. I went as far into regedit(tricky stuff too.) as I dared. But I digress. I'm not an expert on this stuff. Just thought it might be another avenue for you to try.I'll run hijak every now and again, make sure everything looks good.

Here's something that I found that's awesome. It is an effective way to BREAK some adware/spyware, it kills popups and it gets rid of alot of crap ads loading in your browser. The best part of it...it uses 0 resources...that's right, 0 resources. :D

Here's a link to the zip, since I can't attach files:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=414446

It's zipped up, extract the text file out, copy the contents of the text file and paste them into the following file:

c:windowssystem32driversetcHOSTS (open using notepad).

Now here's a little basic tip for those of you who don't know what the HOSTS file is all about. Before we had name resolution servers (DNS), we had the HOSTS file, which everyone on the internet had a copy of. When a new host was added to the internet, every file had to be updated. This file has the IP address and Hostname of each computer.

So rather than typing 67.19.36.6 to get to www.testmy.net, I just type www.testmy.net...it's easier to remember.

Eventually there were too many hosts to keep adding to this file, so someone who was using their brain came up with DNS servers which hold all the names/ip addresses of the computers on their domain.

Anyhow..how does this pertain to SPYWARE/ADWARE.

If you put 127.0.0.1 in your host file for WWW.SOME_SPYWARE_SITE.COM, guess what? it makes it not function. (127.0.0.1 is loopback address for your computer)

This works for popup ads and various ads on the internet. Try plugging this into your hosts file and you'll notice alot of ads don't load.

HTH

about 4 or 5 months back, i had some weird kidn of spyware on my computer that would put itself in startup, and put a bunch of random programs in the WINDOWS folder (they were all like poop32.exe...they all ended with 32 for some reason)

Everytime i deleted the spyware things from spybot in the starttup options thing, next time i restart, there would just be more spyware

i tried adaware, spybot, and spysweeper, but none seemed to get it all

So then i found out about this thing called HijackThis, and i booted into safemode and found all the entries that i suspected of being spyware(had to be careful not to delete important stuff though), and then i clicked 'fix' or w/e it has. then i had to go into the windows folder, and manually delete all the weird .exe things by hand, and then i rebooted into regular mode, and ran spybot and adaware, and then i think i also ran 2 small progs(something like About:Buster and cwshredder i think), and then i finally got rid of the damned spyware

it was a pain in teh a$$ though

about 4 or 5 months back, i had some weird kidn of spyware on my computer that would put itself in startup, and put a bunch of random programs in the WINDOWS folder (they were all like poop32.exe...they all ended with 32 for some reason)

Everytime i deleted the spyware things from spybot in the starttup options thing, next time i restart, there would just be more spyware

i tried adaware, spybot, and spysweeper, but none seemed to get it all

So then i found out about this thing called HijackThis, and i booted into safemode and found all the entries that i suspected of being spyware(had to be careful not to delete important stuff though), and then i clicked 'fix' or w/e it has. then i had to go into the windows folder, and manually delete all the weird .exe things by hand, and then i rebooted into regular mode, and ran spybot and adaware, and then i think i also ran 2 small progs(something like About:Buster and cwshredder i think), and then i finally got rid of the damned spyware

it was a pain in teh a$$ though

all you had to do was restart in safe mode and it would have taken care of the problem.. about 99% of the time you can have something like that resolved..