NVidia 6800 driver for Win XP MCE 2005

milchama

Ok I just got a Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ an 6800 gpu I went to Nvidia to update the driver cause the current driver was a 67.?? Nvidias sight referred me to the Forceware 72.14

But when I go to the desktop and right click - properties-settings-advanced-adapter-properties-driver it says I have driver 6.7.7.1.

but when I use the Nvidia Geforce utility it says I am utilizing Forceware 72.14.

Whats up am I suppose to install two drivers? one for XP and one for MCE 2005. I am confused.

does it look like this?

video_adaptor.gif

what you are seeing is the offical driver number.. 74.series of drivers is just a collection of drivers..  if you notice next to the name should be the current 74. number..

If you are a gamer i would recommend omegadrivers.net's nvidia drivers.. they tend to get gamers a few more fps..

Ok I just got a Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ an 6800 gpu I went to Nvidia to update the driver cause the current driver was a 67.?? Nvidias sight referred me to the Forceware 72.14

But when I go to the desktop and right click - properties-settings-advanced-adapter-properties-driver it says I have driver 6.7.7.1.

but when I use the Nvidia Geforce utility it says I am utilizing Forceware 72.14.

Whats up am I suppose to install two drivers? one for XP and one for MCE 2005. I am confused.

Hey i got the same laptop as you!

Well, anyways, if you want to upgrade your drivers, you cant get them from nvidia.com b/c nvidia does not support drivers for their laptop gpus.  Instead you can get drivers and modified inf files from www.laptopvideo2go.com, or if you dont want to go through the hassle of doing that you can always just get drivers from Dell Downloads(http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R100022&SystemID=INSPIRON%209300&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=6477&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=2&formatcnt=1&fileid=133765)

Im currently using 77.72 with modified inf files.

Also, another good resource is http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

You can post questions about your i9300 there and you'll probably get better help for this kind of thing over there.  That sites basically where i go for any problems or suggestions

(Sorry testmy.net ppl's for linking to another forum, i just thought it would be more helpful over there.)

Hey i got the same laptop as you!

Well, anyways, if you want to upgrade your drivers, you cant get them from nvidia.com b/c nvidia does not support drivers for their laptop gpus.  Instead you can get drivers and modified inf files from www.laptopvideo2go.com, or if you dont want to go through the hassle of doing that you can always just get drivers from Dell Downloads(http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R100022&SystemID=INSPIRON%209300&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=6477&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=2&formatcnt=1&fileid=133765)

Im currently using 77.72 with modified inf files.

Also, another good resource is http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

You can post questions about your i9300 there and you'll probably get better help for this kind of thing over there.  That sites basically where i go for any problems or suggestions

(Sorry testmy.net ppl's for linking to another forum, i just thought it would be more helpful over there.)

That site is good.. but posting about drivers.. is not really what that site is for.. I have a 8600, 6000 and a 9300 currently.. So you are going to get as good of help there as you would here..

Omegadrivers are where it is at right now for ati.. i would guess that the same quality drivers are produced on the Nvidia side also..

is that second screen shot display properties then advanced?

If you have the MCE addition then download these.. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxpmce_72.14.html

XP MCE is XP.. just repackaged with some upgrades for video,audio, and music.. http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/mediacenter/evaluation/top10.mspx

hey swimmer I have the Pentium M 760 with an small 512 mb on the Inspiron 9300 when I right click on the desktop it seems slightly slow to respond. I have not cleaned the HDD and reinstalled the OS, instead I simply uninstalled all the bloated software.

is it really necessary to reinstall the OS? I do have the backup Medicenter disk cause I paid an extra $10 for it. and a drivers cd.

• 2 weeks later...

I always reinstall the os as soon as i get a new computer.. to get rid of all the crap that you dont need..  I noticed that dell has moved to the system files on the hard drive and not on the cd.. 

Sorry about the slow respond.. i just didnt see this post!

If you have uninstalled and installed some stuff, defrag your drive it is most likely fragged up and that will slow your system down :)

But nothing beats a format and fresh install for performance boost. But if you are like me i put it of for a long time...last time 6 months :haha:

• 2 weeks later...