WHAT THE HECK? HELP!

jakop92

Man since my hd fried and i did a recovery of all data i've been unable to unistall anything from the windows unistall tool.

How can i fix the problem here? Please help, because i was thinking of unistalling some useless progs that have no other way to uninstall and mabye even sp2 but i have no options!

Oh bwt heheheh sorry for the bad hand writing :P

I write really bad :lol:

:) welcome to the site,not sure what your O S is but if I remember right win 98 did this because it changed the name of your files......if your running Windows XP it has a repair option when you reinstall that should clear your problem,let us know what happens:):)I'm guessing its XP because it has some other problems in the add/remove window like blank areas.....there is a neat program that I have used for many years that will also remove them from the window (its not uninstalling) this software must be used with caution because you can really nuke your system and create a much bigger problem, and there is a novice console you can use...so here it is ....AGAIN USE CAUTION, have copy of your registry.....you can edit the name of pgm if you want or delete it,which is a better choice because I think the files are gone because there is no size next to the programs..

http://www.xteq.com x-setup is what you want no spyware and it free

8) Microwave

How can i fix the problem here? Please help' date=' because i was thinking of unistalling some useless progs that have no other way to uninstall and mabye even sp2 but i have no options![/quote']

I'm not sure about a fix, but if all you wanna do right now is uninstall a few useless programs, and in the event that MICROWAVE's recommened program doesn't do the trick, you can try this utility called "Your Uninstaller 2004 Pro". It works great performing it's main purpose of uninstalling, plus, it gives you a few other options that may be useful to you.

Here is the download link: Your Uninstaller Pro

Quick Pic:

Your_Uninstaller_Pro.jpg

Check your pm for more important details!

Well, i attemped 3 different versions of repairing.

Windows xp home, windows xp media center edition and windows xp pro installation discs, and all 3 failed to let me install windows(well not reinstall whole thing, but just repair it).

Seems like the recovery messed up some s tuff. I can't reformat the pc since its family pc, so are there any other solutions?

I guess so but i don't got money pouring out of my pockets.

At age 15 just barely got a job, i don't feel like wasting around half my paycheck just for a hd.

I'll stick with the prob unless anyone's got a solution that doesn't involve money.

Thanks for all the help thought.

• 2 weeks later...

The repair option in any version of windows is not very useful. All that is basically happening is it restores a few essential files if they are missing and pulls a backup of the registry out of a directory. And I don't even think that XP Pro does this from the setup disk anymore, you have to run recovery console and do it manually, and if you don't have a recent system restore/backup then you end up rolling back to first boot...and may end up having to install drivers again.

Here's what you can do if you have the original disk that you installed the OS from.

Pop the disk in.

click start-->run type "CMD" press return.

from command line type: SFC /SCANNOW

Next, try installing something, then try uninstalling it. Install/Uninstall work? No? You're pretty much screwed then.

Yes? Good, that just means the programs that are currently installed are missing their logs or something along those lines. If you're feeling really brave, you can go to program files and delete them. If you wanted to be a "REAL COOL GUY" you could unregister the DLL's by hand using regsvr32 -u from command line.

Then fire up registry editor "regedit" from start-->run

Go to HKLMSoftware and start blowing away the keys that pertain to the software that you just deleted.

As mentioned about 100 times before, your best bet is to reinstall the OS entirely. If you don't have another hard disk...and you don't have a CD-Burner...which, hell...I haven't seen a computer without a CD-R in years...then what you could do is sign up for a bunch of free email accounts and email all the files to yourself. Reinstall the computer and go out and get the files.

Remember...programs can be replaced, files cannot. The difference? A file is the output of a program...like a word doc or a spreadsheet or mom and dads tax files.

If it is simply unistalling apps that you want to do, then using a third party unistaller may solve your problems.

AS you may know, each entry in that list is simply an entry in the registry.

So if the registry is corrupt, then the list will be two!

Windows can't fix this, as how does it know what you have installed?

I could fix it if it was system components that where damaged but not third party software!

I quite suprised no one has blamed SP2 yet, as it seems to get the blame for allot!

As an IT Technician an applications programmer, I have personally rolled out SP2 to over 150 PC's without issue!

At the end of the day, most IT Issues are down to user error or hardware failure.

IE Corrupt registry is a common site on PC's where Start>Shutdown is not used. Switching the PC off by holding the power switch does more harm then good!

Anyway!!!!

There are ways to restore your registry manually.

Yes, it's a pain in the arse, but..... Do you want to fix it or not?

As I am not sure if you have sorted this yet, I am not going to post a soloution.

If you want it, ask!

I hate sp2 for one reason.. spawning windows from hell... Why cant the firewall do its thing in the background? I pesonally do not run sp2 on my computer... I have this thing pretty locked down.. between updating with everything except sp2, a firewall, antivirus, spysweeper, and the sitting behind a router.. with not port forwarding... so NAT is my "hardware" firewall... Never had a problem.. But I would have to agree with you about the problems are either hardware or user releated.. I think the best commerical sums this up.. I think it is a Cisco commerical where the boss is talking to some lady about the network and how they got attacked... but the network took care of it before anything really happened.. Then the little kid comes out and tells her dad that she download a sweet game..

User error..

then what you could do is sign up for a bunch of free email accounts and email all the files to yourself. Reinstall the computer and go out and get the files.

Or PM me for a gmail account. Then you can get a shell extension and use Gmail as a regular windows drive... The only problem is that the file sizes are limited to 10 megabytes... You do have a gig of space...

What I would do is make a folder with all of the data that you want to back up, then get winrar (http://www.rarlabs.com) and create a compressed rar compilation with the segments limited to 10 MBs. Then once that finishes, start the upload over night by dragging all of the files into the Gmail drive and there you go.

Or PM me for a gmail account. Then you can get a shell extension and use Gmail as a regular windows drive... The only problem is that the file sizes are limited to 10 megabytes... You do have a gig of space...

What I would do is make a folder with all of the data that you want to back up, then get winrar (http://www.rarlabs.com) and create a compressed rar compilation with the segments limited to 10 MBs. Then once that finishes, start the upload over night by dragging all of the files into the Gmail drive and there you go.

sweet thanks dude, ive been trying to think about a way to get photoshop to my laptop since my home cpus cdr drive broke. niiiiice. :D

basically bro, your shit is fucked and rather than spend any time or effort trying to fix this problem you should just blow the entire filesystem away and start fresh.

Since you don't have a 2nd disk, and you never said whether you had a CD Burner...we were discussing other ways to move all the unreplaceable files back