Windows' Disk Cleanup Application Problem

Bird Fan

Ever since I've re-installed Windows on my computer, I've been unable to run the Disk Cleanup tool. I know that it's no where near as good as CCleaner, but I like to use it to clean up my Restore points.

I've tried running it in regular and safe mode and it always gets stuck on "compress old files". And when I close it, it's not open, but it's running under the process list in the task manager.

Is there anything that I can do to get it working?

Thanks.

I had the same problem.. It would just freeze..  I never did figure out the problem.. i eventually reformated for school and the problem went away..  you might want to take a look at the microsoft site and see what they can come up with.

I had the same problem too. I solved part of it, by making sure no files or folders are compressed. Compression does slow down your preformance, since every time you want to use a certain file it has to be uncompressed. I also turned off indexing service.

I had the same problem too. I solved part of it, by making sure no files or folders are compressed. Compression does slow down your preformance, since every time you want to use a certain file it has to be uncompressed. I also turned off indexing service.

How do you turn off the indexing service? Through Folder Options or something, cuz I couldn't find it before..

Right-click on your drive, Ex. C:, then click on 'Properties'.  There should be a checkbox labled 'Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching'. Uncheck that box. Click 'Apply'.

Note though, this process can take a while after it starts.

Is there any way to search for all my compressed files?

SYMPTOMS

When you try to compress old files, the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding and you may receive the following message:

Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:).

This may take a few minutes to complete.

Scanning: Compress old files

CAUSE

This problem occurs when there is an incorrect entry in the registry that is used by the Disk Cleanup utility to locate compressed files.

WORKAROUND

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerVolumeCaches

4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

5. Expand the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerVolumeCaches

6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.

7. Quit Registry Editor.

REFERENCES

For additional information about the Disk Cleanup tool, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

310312 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312/) Description of the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows XP

Let's see if this works...

From Windows Help:

To display encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

Open Folder Options in Control Panel.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.

On the View tab, select the Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color check box.

Note

When you select this option, the names of encrypted or compressed NTFS files and folders will be displayed in a different color in the folder.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I think the color is blue. To uncompress a folder, right-click, select 'Proereties'.

Click on 'Advanced'. Uncheck 'compress contents to save disk space'.

Or to uncompress all folders at once.

Right-click on your drive, select 'Properties, and uncheck 'compress drive to save disk space'.

Uncompressing files usually takes a long time, especially if you have a lot to uncompress.

From Windows Help:

To display encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

Open Folder Options in Control Panel.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.

On the View tab, select the Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color check box.

Note

When you select this option, the names of encrypted or compressed NTFS files and folders will be displayed in a different color in the folder.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I think the color is blue. To uncompress a folder, right-click, select 'Proereties'.

Click on 'Advanced'. Uncheck 'compress contents to save disk space'.

Right-click on your drive, select 'Properties, and uncheck 'compress drive to save disk space'.

Uncompressing files usually takes a long time, especially if you have a lot to uncompress.

Well, it works now since I deleted that registry key.

I already had that checked; I was wondering if there was a faster way than just going through every folder.

Well, it works now since I deleted that registry key.

I already had that checked; I was wondering if there was a faster way than just going through every folder.

EDIT: BTW, from the looks of the reg key work around that was posted, it looks like it just bypases some files. Your files are still compressed, if there are any.