Help with formatting.

xs1

Ok guys, need some assistance. I must be getting rusty now-a-days, but i forgot how to format... lmao.

When i put in the windows disk i have ( have 2 seperate versions ) 1 says the OS instaled is newer then the one im trying to install. So it wont do it. The second one wants to instal windows, but i cant find the %*#$ key for it, and no the other key wont work. When i try to put in the working disk and reboot, it wont boot. :(  normally id just stick in the disk, and delete the partition and reinstall windows fully....but the mufuka wont boot... just goes to the desktop and boots... saying its older then my current installed OS.

The reason im formatting is because of having only half my programs work, only half have sound, not to mention IE doesnt work anymore either... just opens into 2 seperate IE windows which use 99% processor usage and dissappear.

Its just about time i formatted anyhow. So my question is how could i go about doing this...since my damn disk wont boot and the second one missing the key. Please no comments about how to look for a warez key, i just wanna know how to format the C: drive.

thanks

When you pop in the boot diskette before system boot, type help and you can read the help file.. It has a section about the format tool which is on the floppy.. You could format a partition with it or even delete the file system on the whole hard drive and the partitions and then the next time you install windows, the setup will reformat your hdd for you (create C:) and create the file system (ntfs for XP) .. I don't remember the commands, so that's why I'm using the help file.. :D

EDIT: I don't think Microsoft could help you if you lost your key and purchased the windows os from a retailer (if that's what you did..) :(

Yeah I know what you mean about MS.. they will replace Office keys.. I have had to do that before.. mine came up as stolen.. so I had to call into ms..  Big pain.. but that is alright.. we got it working..

Yah FDisk is an option..or you could create a dual boot with Partition magic and then install the new os on the new partition.. then delete the old one..

Fdisk is kinda risky if you dont know what you are doing.. I would not recommend this to someone who doesnt know what they are doing..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q255867