buying a laptop in 1 week just need a final though.

krazyrag

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok To sum it all here are the ones I have found that I guess I can get it shipped to PR. Except the one from Buy.com. Also i want the laptop with a good moderate vid card since im not planning to buy a desktop for now. Also im studying comp Engineer soo i guess a laptop is much better than a new desktop. I dont want to go for more than $1500.00 neither but i dont want to waste neither on a crappy laptop. my other new question would be if its worth it to buy a laptop at this time ? I mean because of everything going up and because of Windows Vista in the near future that will be 64 bit. here it is what i have found around :

Costco.com

Intel Pentium 4 530 w/HT 3GHz

1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz (2x512mb)

60GB 5400 RPM hard drive

DVD writter with double layer

256mb ATI mobility RADEON X600

54g 802.11 b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM

17.0" WxGA+ brightview Wide Viewing (1440x900)

Microsoft xp with SP2

Microsoft works Money

12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

for the price of = $1469.99

TigerDirect.com

HP/Compaq nx6125 AMD Turion 64 Processor ML-34 1.8GHz / 802.11a-b-g Wireless / Bluetooth / 15-inch SXGA+ / 1GB DDR / 60GB HDD / DVD

wow...so how fast does the AMD64 FX-57 run compared to P4??

This is what I am going off..

http://www.behardware.com/articles/546-5/pentium-m-dfi-855gme-mgf.html

It isnt exact.. you are compairing a moble chip against Intel's flag ship..

Here is a good as of right now Tom's doesnt have the 57 up yet.. but against a 55 the 3.72 EE does beat the 55 in the Sandra CPU tests.. http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&model1=57&model2=18&chart=4

Change the benchmark to gaming.. and prepair for an attack of the AMD chips.. The only intel chip up high is the 570..which is 3.8

It is hard to tell.. Maximum pc is heavy amd.. just about every system they build is amd.. but that is also what the high end market is currently using.. 

Tom's seems pretty fair.. they tend to do what ever is big at the time..  I havent seen all that much Intel on there lately..

There is no doubt that AMD is the gamers choice.. I agree with you 100%.. again.. however, in desktop apps.. most of the time intel will take the cookie.. but just by a little bit..

that really depends on the apps

things like vid and pic editing sure intel is better

but for small apps where u don't need as much processing power

the amd's responsiveness makes it a far better choice

That is true.. but you are not going to notice it all that much on stuff like the system calculator.. or ms office... AMD is starting to take over the compression test.. winrar, lame, and divx.. all have strong amd at the top or second..

i have the ZD8000 series laptop, it rules, I love it.

:D

I get 3,400 in 3dmark03

I get 1,900 in 3dmark05

50 fps in garrys mod full settings.

The go does not kick the x600's ass in the least.

The benchmarks for doom 3 on high settings were 27 fps for the x600, and 33 for the Go 6600 or whatever the top GO model is.

All NVDIA cards play a bit player on doom 3 then ATI.

Some benchmarks of the go ranged around 1,500 to 1,900 in 3dmark05.

In all technicalitys they are about equal.

See most laptops only have two areas to put in the ram, and the ram that is currently in it is dual channel mode occupied by two 256MB sticks.

So you cannot simply add ram, you have to "replace it". So in replacing I would make sure you max it out to 2 gb OF DUAL channel ram (expensive but when upgrading dual channel ram it is a must). You still would lose the orginal 512 or whatever it is. Sell it to a friend MB?

hmmm... if memory upgrade doesnt affect the waranty then ill buy it with that 512mb of ram ;o

thanks for the help guys =D

edit. Hmmm

now i am a bit worried about that new 64bit thingy. thats the new thing that will come when Windows Vista comes out, The Pentium M isnt 64 bit but the amd is.... 

would it be more convinient to get the 64bit support for the future OS,programs and sacrifice a little the video card or not?

i mean, i worked hard for those $1,500.00 im willing to spent on a laptop to just go away in like 2 years >.>....

both? XD

i dont know if im going to be a game adict because i dont have a gamming dekstop, on the time my pc was new i played kawaks and other emulator games and i liked it. some AOE,empire earth too and games my friends lend me. then came my ps2 fever and left the pc for download anime and music and do work

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......  :roll:  :haha:

Well, AMD's are useful for both.. They are more responsive and have higher fsb speeds, but are slower than most new Intel processors in 32bit mode, which would maybe be a disadvantage with 32 bit programs and games.. If you get a 64bit processor, you should also get the 64bit windows, but I would think you should go with the AMD processors, cuz many other ppl think so too(e.g.: 32 bit processors have max of 4GB mem for OS and programs; 64 bit ones have 16 billion GB available (in 64bit mode) :D.. I read it off some site about 32 and 64 bit cpu comparison).. :D But that's up to you, cuz you have to find a new video card if you want the AMD as you said

hmmm this thing is really tricky...... i saw a post that got me thinking about how truth it is.

Quick and painless way to explain the mathematics about a 64-Bit processor. However, purchasing a computer with a 64-Bit processor today has additional advantages and disadvantages. For example, a disadvantage is that - Moore's Law - Computing power doubles every 18 months, therefore by the time the software vendors migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit the computing power for utilizing that software will be larger (and you're new processor will be obsolete).

and no thanks Indestructable, that Dell offer i saw is better.

thanks for the help anyways ^_^