RAM Help

Supreme1

alright i bought my computer a 512 stick finally because on my 256 for some reason it reads 248  i've had the "248" stick for about 4 years so i got my new 512 today. I put the 512 by the "248" because i really dont have a reason for it to flush since i hear it's better for somethings to do so. alright i put it in boot up computer comes on stays blank i take it off again turn it on with just old stick in works perfect. do any of you possibly know why it doesnt work?.

RAM Stats

PC133 512 168 pin

sorry im not completely computer techy buts it SDRAM is that ok?.

also its the Exact same size and shape of old ram lol if that matters

what type of computer do you have.. some times if you mix like 32x72 and 32x64 you will have the problem that you are discribing...  just tell us the model of the computer or the brand of the motherboard.. and we can get you want you need..  Also if you got the memory from a retailer post a link to the product page.

PC133 is backwards compatible.. it is a standard.. you cant sell it if it isnt.. and call it PC133..  And if he bought pc66 then the other module would slow down to pc66.. the system runs only as fast as the slowest sitck of ram.

My guess is that it is a sizing problem..

hmmm.... 168 pin Dimm, 64x64 module that is what is listed on the site..

Here is my final guess to why it is not working... you bought a high density chip.. and your motherboard only supports 1.0gig of ram.. Most of the time for high density ram to work you have to support 1.5 gig or higher.. take a look at the other ram in your system.. if it only has chips on one side then it is low density.. if there are chips on both sided.. it is high..

Did you run your computer information on a RAM selling site like Crucial or Kahlon Or even New Egg to at least see what RAM they recomended?Then if you wanted to but it on ebay you would have known better what to look for.

I got this from the ebay site you linked to:

Works with motherboard CHIPSET *VIA KT-133, VIA KX-133, SIS 630, VIA 693/694, AMD 751 Iron Gate, VIA Apollo 133A Pro Chipsets, *EXCEPT ASUS K7V, A7V.  It is not compatible to Apples.  Motherboard must support 512 MB in EACH memory slot. Otherwise the system will recognize either 128MB or 256MB or none at all.  If you PC takes Total maximum of 512mb or 768mb, this module is NOT compatible.

Does your mobo 's slots have a max of 256MB per slot? If it does then that is your problem.You can ony run a 256mb in each slot.If you have 2 slots that would be a total of 512 for both slots 3 slots would let you have a total of 768MB.