Please Help! My Computer Won't Start Up!

al244

Damn. The Cox Cable guy unplugged my computer, and tried it with my sister's computer which was newer, then the Cox Cable worked. After that I unplugged my sister's computer, and put my computer back at the right spot. It didn't work with the Cox. But here's the problem. My uncle had taken my monitor, and today he just gave it back. Now I want to try again with the Cox, but I try to start up my computer and...it doesn't work! It takes me to that screen with:

Safe Mode

Safe Mode Networking

Safe Mode with Command

Last Known Configuration

and all that other stuff. Safe mode doesn't even work though. When I tried it only a few days ago with my Cox, maybe like 3 days ago, it started up just fine. Now I try again and this happens. It says something about it might be because of a hardware change or something, but I didn't change any hardware at all. The only difference from this time and the last time it worked is the keyboard and mouse. I doubt that really matters. Can anyone help me out? After this works I can make a new topic and you guys can help me get my Cox working on my other computer if I can't. I feel so bad because all of my topics are all requesting for help. Oh well. :roll:

No shame in asking for help.. Best thing is to reformat and reinstall Windows or use the option from the install setup to repair a current Windows installation.. I can't seem to find a reason for that hardware error, except maybe a power surge that damaged something in your pc, but that doesn't seem likely..

Hmm nevermind, I found a Windows XP Pro CD in the bag with all the CDs that came with my sister's computer. The thing is that that CD is meant for a Dell so I wonder if it'll work. If it does work do I enter the produc key to my sister's comp or something? Well whatever. Formatting the partition, currently at 23%. What's the difference between Format NTFS (Quick) and Format NTFS except the quick one is "quicker"? Is that actually better? Oh well I'm going for the slow one. This better work. It really should! :D

Re-format finished is the good news. Also, the Cox Cable now works! The thing is...I don't have Windows Product Key. I can't seem to find it anywhere on my comp and I don't have the manual. Last time before the re-format I was running a pirated Windows XP lol. Can anybody help me out? I tried entering the product key to my sister's Dell, but that didn't work. :evil6:

Hmm nevermind, I found a Windows XP Pro CD in the bag with all the CDs that came with my sister's computer. The thing is that that CD is meant for a Dell so I wonder if it'll work. If it does work do I enter the produc key to my sister's comp or something? Well whatever. Formatting the partition, currently at 23%. What's the difference between Format NTFS (Quick) and Format NTFS except the quick one is "quicker"? Is that actually better? Oh well I'm going for the slow one. This better work. It really should! :D

The Dell CD will work, but you will have to call Microsoft for a product key.  Just tell them you reformatted your computer after upgrading it and it is asking for a CD Key now, and if they ask u "have u installed it on any other computer" just tell them no.

Wouldn't they ask me why the original product key didn't work? What would I say? Also I'm a little scared to call since I'm onyl 13, and if they ask me a question about my XP being "illegal" or whatever I wouldn't know how to answer. I'll just wait until my dad gets home. I also stutter when I talk to strangers sometimes. :icon_pale:

Yeah I know what it looks like. It's clearly not there. I even checked inside the computer, lol. I told my dad what wingzero said about calling, and he asked if we had to pay for it. I just told him no (I don't think I lied,) so he'll call tomorrow morning and stuff. Hopefully I can get that product key without any problems. My dad told me there was no product key with our Windows XP, but his friend installed it for us so he can't really help me out. It'a custom made though. It should still have a product key shouldn't it? Maybe they cheated!

Yeah I think it was. You know that number when you click Properties at My Computer? It says Registered To: and then a number? I remember google searching, "How To Tell if You're Running On A Pirated Windows XP" and it said something about certain numbers and my product key or whatever it was matched those numbers! Also I was unable to download SP2.

Yeah I think it was. You know that number when you click Properties at My Computer? It says Registered To: and then a number? I remember google searching, "How To Tell if You're Running On A Pirated Windows XP" and it said something about certain numbers and my product key or whatever it was matched those numbers! Also I was unable to download SP2.

Why weren't you able to download SP2?

Guest kamil234

call up microsoft and tell them you lost your cd key if you need it, they'll give it to you (hopefully..my cuz downloaded like 5 different verisons of windows and every time they gave him a cd key lol)

call up microsoft and tell them you lost your cd key if you need it, they'll give it to you (hopefully..my cuz downloaded like 5 different verisons of windows and every time they gave him a cd key lol)

Don't they ask for his name or anything? Maybe its a stalking cd key version and Microsoft can track his every move.. LOL :D

Guest kamil234
:haha: :haha: :haha: i dont know, but i dont think so..he knows alot about this stuff...alot more than me anyways, haha last year he was on one of the school computers and they had linux, he typed in some command so it didnt detect the hard drives and he got ISS for 5 days, it was funny.. anyways how fast they can track people over the net, his IP changes like every 10 seconds, lol

:haha: :haha: :haha: i dont know, but i dont think so..he knows alot about this stuff...alot more than me anyways, haha last year he was on one of the school computers and they had linux, he typed in some command so it didnt detect the hard drives and he got ISS for 5 days, it was funny.. anyways how fast they can track people over the net, his IP changes like every 10 seconds, lol

I heard about dynamic IPs, but I don't think they change every 10 secs? You know how he does that? :D