Xbox Live help

Kyle S.

Hello everyone, my first post here, hopefully I'll be active and not only post support questions, hehe...

But anyways, I went out and bought a 2-way cable splitter. I connected it to the normal cable outlet where my computers modem functions. I plugged one "out" to the computer modem and the other to the xbox's modem. (I have two modems)

Now, the problem is, my computer works fine obviously, but my Xbox will detect the cables and isp settings, etc., but will not fully connect or allow me to play games online.

I was wondering if anyone had any answers to this problem, or maybe if I need to configure something or if just splitters won't work, etc.

Thank you very much for your time!

~Kyle

Well the thing is.... I had my xbox hooked up to the modem downstairs into a different cable outlet since april and it worked fine along with the computer up here so one day they shut it off downstairs, I didn't know I had to pay for 2 separate connections, so I figured maybe if I just got a 2-way splitter, I could connect them both into the working cable outlet while still having both on at the same time.

Thanks, and I was looking at getting a wireless router because the xbox is normally connected to the tv that's downstairs. Any idea for a good cheap one?

Ive tried moving my modem around and Ive found that it only works at the one wall jack that it was installed at. The one i tried to plug into was active but only for tv cable. How many connections are u paying for right now? If its one than u cant split the connection between 2 modems only with a router. As far as a wireless network, there are so many wireless g based routers i wont even begin to name them. U can really count on all of the companies to give u a good wireless connection if ur xbox isnt that far away from ur router.

That's the thing though, I have a 3-story house, the Xbox would be on the bottom and computer on top.

Just get one of those antennae things for it?

That should be fine though right if I got a wireless router, it should work if plugged into the original wall jack?

• 2 weeks later...

Kyle, Have you registerd the modem for the Xbox? That is your problem i bet :)

that would be his problem if he was paying for two connections. he ain't. he prolly had a second hookup in the house on which his cable worked until they wised upo and shut him down, now he wants to use a splitter to hook up 2 modems to the working line. i agree. buy a router, throw a roll of cable down the side of the house.

Heh, ok thanks for the replies. I had no idea I had to pay for two separate connections.

I don't think registering the modem with Xbox (Is that even possible?) would do anything. I think my cable provider just shut off that wall jack except for TV.

I had Xbox working for about 5 months on the same wall jack until it got shut down one day.

I had a problem with a cable splitter while hooking up my router and tv.

If you're using a 900MHz splitter, you'll probably need to get a 1GHz splitter.

I'm not real sure what a network splitter is.. you mean like a switch (without DHCP)?

if you're not using a router (with DHCP), you'll need to put assign a static IP to the xbox (which is done through the network settings page).

So your best idea is get a 1GHz cable splitter. Your cable provider will usually give you one if you ask. Hook up your modem and tv. I would reccomend getting a router afterwards and then all you have left is running the cables.

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated, however, I am not looking to hook up a tv and a modem, more so, hooking up two modems into a splitter into the same wall jack which I have figured out is probably impossible. Btw, I can't really run cable since I have a townhome, but I guess I will just go get a wireless router with the antennae booster.

I'm not stupid.

For one, I would need about 300 feet of cable since my working internet connection is upstairs, while the one I want connected is two stories below, many twists and turns.

Second of all, I would have to spend hours tucking the cable under the carpet so that it wouldn't be seen or else my mother would not let me do such a thing.

I must agree that wireless is a much easier setup, then.

I do believe having two modems on one cable line isn't possible.

It may be less expensive for you to set the cable modem up where your xbox is and set the computers up wireless, though.

A wireless gaming device is usually around $60-100, while you can get a wireless PCI card for around $45.

That's just if you have an outlet downstairs.