Good article on Notebook processors(AMD)

Swimmer

I have not done much comparing notebook CPUs...

"From a battery life perspective, the Turion 64 was clearly inferior to the competition based on Intel technology. But then only when the CPU is lightly loaded, as when running a typical set of Office applications. When applications put more demand on the CPU, the difference in battery life among these systems narrows noticeably. And if the CPU and graphics components are purposely maxed out, as when gaming, the tables turn completely as our results showed, and the Intel system falls behind. In this last usage scenario the lion's share of power consumption in a notebook goes to the PCIe-attached 3D graphics chip and video RAM, and not to the CPU. "

the real problem with the amd is that the fsb is only 200MHz

i generally won't suggest the use of anything with less than 800MHz

in that regards even the intel is seriously lacking

Its 200 MHz cuz its for light and long-life battery laptops.. As long as it does the work, I'll go with it.. I found an AMD 64 processor notebook and it was so heavy.. I don't care how fast the cpu's fsb is as long as there is good battery life from the notebook and its lightweight.. Its not like I'll convert video files all day :D

the real problem with the amd is that the fsb is only 200MHz

i generally won't suggest the use of anything with less than 800MHz

in that regards even the intel is seriously lacking

This isnt a moble desktop... if it was then you would have a p4 with the full specs.. these are portable notebooks..

i know

my notebook for example:

amd 64 +3200

fsb 2000MHz

clock speed 2.0 GHz

ati x300 integrated w/ 128MB dedicated

512MB ram running 497MHz

just because its a notebook doesn't mean u have to sacrifice power

u just have to look real hard to find a good deal that comes w/ a decent proc

How long is the battery life on max cpu utilization or when playing video games..?

i know

my notebook for example:

amd 64 +3200

fsb 2000MHz

clock speed 2.0 GHz

ati x300 integrated w/ 128MB dedicated

512MB ram running 497MHz

just because its a notebook doesn't mean u have to sacrifice power

u just have to look real hard to find a good deal that comes w/ a decent proc

It has nothing to do with power.. I already posted a link that showed for the most part a 1.8 pentium M is about the same as a 2.8 P4.. that is still pretty powerful!  now the bus speeds are not the best but that is to conserve battery life..  And the Moble A64s still dont have a great speed step solution like the pentium Ms do..

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119366,00.asp

In the demonstration' date=' the performance of a Sonoma system with a 2.13-GHz Pentium M processor, 1GB of memory, and the Alviso chip set was said to be comparable to that of a desktop system carrying a 3.6-GHz Pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading, 1GB of memory, and the Grantsdale chip set (which also supports PCI Express and DDR2). Intel had previously compared the high end of its notebook technology to the midrange of its desktop technology[/quote']

so is bus speed and process speed the end all of a laptop... NO! you can pick up a mid range pentium M and still be right on pace with some of the better P4 desktops.. 

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothandesktop&page=14&cookie%5Ftest=1

This is a good little one.. the 755 almost beats the Desktop based a64 3500..

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/dfi-855gme-mgf/index.x?pg=12

and another one based on the dothlon patform (the new centrino)  keeping up with the fast stuff..

So it basically come down to your perference.. both platforms are fast and both and perform..

How long is the battery life on max cpu utilization or when playing video games..?

about 3 hours

but i dont really need it to last anymore than that so it works just fine w/ me

most of the time i am able to plug it into an outlet

It has nothing to do with power.. I already posted a link that showed for the most part a 1.8 pentium M is about the same as a 2.8 P4.. that is still pretty powerful!  now the bus speeds are not the best but that is to conserve battery life..  And the Moble A64s still dont have a great speed step solution like the pentium Ms do..

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119366,00.asp

so is bus speed and process speed the end all of a laptop... NO! you can pick up a mid range pentium M and still be right on pace with some of the better P4 desktops.. 

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothandesktop&page=14&cookie%5Ftest=1

This is a good little one.. the 755 almost beats the Desktop based a64 3500..

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/dfi-855gme-mgf/index.x?pg=12

and another one based on the dothlon patform (the new centrino)  keeping up with the fast stuff..

So it basically come down to your perference.. both platforms are fast and both and perform..

if mobile procs are just as fast as desktop procs

then why is it that they aren't in desktops?

granted mobile procs can keep up w/ the desktops for most if not all basic apps

but they aren't going to keep up with high end gaming that demands

large amounts of processing power (and perferably a fast fsb)

about 3 hours

but i dont really need it to last anymore than that so it works just fine w/ me

most of the time i am able to plug it into an outlet

if mobile procs are just as fast as desktop procs

then why is it that they aren't in desktops?

granted mobile procs can keep up w/ the desktops for most if not all basic apps

but they aren't going to keep up with high end gaming that demands

large amounts of processing power (and perferably a fast fsb)

Because that is what people are currently trying to do.. there is a huge push for manufactures to make a board that supports the Pentium m... Aopen is the only on that currently makes a board.. and it is micro atx... One of those articles is actually about the m processor as a desktop chip..  It is all about efficiency

Here is the link: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothandesktop&page=1  take a look at that you will be impressed..

Now if only they would develope a chipset based for the pentium m.. then we would be taking.. or atleast update it past the 855 :(

very cool

but i would still like to see better fsb speeds

intels fsb speeds are simply pathetic compared to amds

if they did that their procs would easily outperform all others

I would 10000000% agree.. 800mhz fsb is a little old..  AMD tops at what 2000mhz with hyper transport?  I am not sure why It has taken Intel so long to up the fsb..

This isnt a moble desktop... if it was then you would have a p4 with the full specs.. these are portable notebooks..

whats wrong with a mobile desktop

hehehe

mine is a full desktop crammed in a laptop i love it

but its not very portable HEHEH

pentium4 3.4Ghz 1G-RAM 256MB graphics

rock on !!!!

that is only if you can afford both

a lot of people can't afford both

like me

so ppl like me need a laptop that can handle

the everything we do not just work :read:

or people like me that live in a "tent" and dont have the space

so i need a laptop that will do a desktop job :)

whats wrong with a mobile desktop

hehehe

mine is a full desktop crammed in a laptop i love it

but its not very portable HEHEH

pentium4 3.4GHz 1G-RAM 256MB graphics

rock on !!!!

I know.. i was commenting on the pentium m.. and how it was never designed to be a desktop processor.. but the fact that they can take some of the faster p4s out is just amazing.. considering that the lastest gen only has a 533mhz fsb.