is there any such thing called "compression software"

Dist

Guest kamil234

it doesnt speed up the internet connection, it simply makes the file smaller so it transfers in a shorter period of time.

try out winrar or winzip, those are most popular

winrar.com

winzip.com

( i personally prefer winrar) :)

I doubt it will not make much of a noticeable difference...especially when using a broadband connection.

___

kamil234, compress a file about 10MB in size and look at the new size after compression.

___

Before = 8.35MB

After WinZip= 7.84MB

Looks like the file shrank about 6% if I did the math right

I doubt it will not make much of a noticeable difference...especially when using a broadband connection.

___

kamil234, compress a file about 10MB in size and look at the new size after compression.

___

Before = 8.35MB

After WinZip= 7.84MB

Looks like the file shrank about 6% if I did the math right

jus did my upload test.....still ain't good

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 176 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 21 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:38:41 GMT-0400

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 48.76 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 50.72 % of your hosts average (sympatico.ca)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-VIG0QYHM2

Guest kamil234

Like i said, compressing files doesn't speed up your internet connection, it just makes the files smaller ("packs") the files into a smaller archeive so you can transfer them quicker, when you uploading them to a server, website or just sending a file to your friend, compressing files on your computer will NOT make your internet connection faster by any chance at all.

Take this for example...you have 10 stacks of paper to move, instead of moving each stack seperatly, you can put them all in the box and move them all at one time, it saves you time by not going back n forth as many times, but it doesnt make you walk faster or anything.

Like i said, compressing files doesn't speed up your internet connection, it just makes the files smaller ("packs") the files into a smaller archeive so you can transfer them quicker, when you uploading them to a server, website or just sending a file to your friend, compressing files on your computer will NOT make your internet connection faster by any chance at all.

Take this for example...you have 10 stacks of paper to move, instead of moving each stack seperatly, you can put them all in the box and move them all at one time, it saves you time by not going back n forth as many times, but it doesnt make you walk faster or anything.

actually.. it would make you walk slower due to the weight of 10 stacks of paper in a box  :haha: :haha: :haha: just thought i'd put my 2 cents in...

Guest kamil234

haha, you get the idea though, if you compress a file, it makes it tranfsfer in a shorter period of time, and you dont have to go back n forth 10 times...make that 11 if you forget your car keys ;)