I need help with Vpn or setting up a Remote desktop

CraZy VaMoS222

are you both connected directly to a modem or any of you behind a router?

if you are connected directly you should have remote desktop activated in the machine u want to connect and in the other one you just type the ip adress and it should ask you for a password and login if u have set up one

if any of you is behind a router it becomes more complicated

• 10 months later...

How do you set it up if one PC is behind a router?

are you both connected directly to a modem or any of you behind a router?

if you are connected directly you should have remote desktop activated in the machine u want to connect and in the other one you just type the ip adress and it should ask you for a password and login if u have set up one

if any of you is behind a router it becomes more complicated

Thank you. 

I'm using WinXP Pro for both host and client. I tried port forwarding and was able to test the connection for a while.  The problem I'm running into now is changing IP addresses and the fact that my host PC uses dial-up.  I have not figured how to log off and keep the Internet connection on. 

I tried using dyndns and the updater software, but I find myself updating it manually everytime the IP changes.  The only time it worked with the dyndns hostname was when I converted the hostname from dynamic to static.  Then the IP changes and I cannot connect anymore.

I welcome your comments.  Thanks

alright that is tricky..  dial up is a pain.. you might want to try logmein.com.. it doesnt require you to know the IP address of the remote computer.. which will help you with dial-up..

The great part about logmein.com is that it is all web based.. so you can get onto the computer from any computer that has java installed.  Which is just about every single one these days..

with logmein it is software controlled.. so as long as the pc is up and the client is installed and functional it should be ready to go..

If you want to continue using the dial-up method there is no really great way to do it.. unless you can find an ISP that offers static IPs on dial-up.. which now since everyone has pretty much moved to broadband might be as easy as calling your ISP and asking.  From there you would want to assign your "server" as static IP on the network... and forward the nessary ports to that LAN IP.