Versions of Windows Vista aka Longhorn.. Must read

Swimmer

If you've been wondering why Windows Vista has taken a long time to reach Beta 1' date=' we can now tell you why: there are seven separate editions of Vista headed your way. OK, that's not the reason for the delay, but how else do you introduce that many OS versions, without invoking Snow White & friends? Join me know as I romp through the various editions, many of which you'll see are just barely differentiated.[/quote']

Interesting..

are those the real ones?

The final SKU's are not final until MSFT announces them.  Ultimate is rumored to replace Media Center Edition.  I'm betting there will be home, corp and media center editions.  I don't know why the feature set in corp wouldn't work in a small biz network.

RAM: 2GB is the ideal configuration for 64-bit Vista, we're told. Vista 32-bit will work ideally at 1GB, and minimum 512. However, since 64-bit is handling data chunks that are double the size, you'll need double the memory, hence the 2GB. Nigel mentions DDR3 - which is a little odd, since the roadmap for DDR3, on Intel gear at least, doesn't really kick in until 2007.

HDD: SATA is definitely the way forward for Vista, due, Microsoft tells us, to Native Command Queueing. NCQ allows for out of order completions - that is, if Vista needs tasks 1,2,3,4 and 5 done, it can do them in the order 2,5,3,4,1 if that's a more efficient route for the hard drive head to take over the disk. This leads to far faster completion times.

thats all i could find...  :cry: and im too sick to look hard

The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Pro Edition, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus adds Game Performance Tweaker with integrated gaming experiences, a Podcast creation utility (under consideration, may be cut from product), and online

It's not about the graphics people! I've been reading online and off about Vista. It seems like they're trying to improve the graphics more than anything. I think the transparent windows are cool and all, but cant M$ concentrate more on the security and stability more?  Do they really need to release a completely new OS every 5 or so years?

It's not about the graphics people! I've been reading online and off about Vista. It seems like they're trying to improve the graphics more than anything. I think the transparent windows are cool and all, but cant M$ concentrate more on the security and stability more?  Do they really need to release a completely new OS every 5 or so years?

Very true indeed.. I wish they would make 1 windows that could stay on for 1 day without any errors :D

my machine has been up for over 3 days.. and i have yet to have an error..  But the problem is that I am currenly using 600mb of ram.. so tonight is a restart.. windows does not do a good job of memory management..

yeap that is the problem i find with windows is releasing resources

Very true indeed.. I wish they would make 1 windows that could stay on for 1 day without any errors :D

aint going to happen :(