Unbearably Slow . . . EVERY NIGHT!!!

ThinkDiff89

I have had DirecWay for a little over a year now, and I have had to deal with A LOT of problems during that time, but my speeds have NEVER been this bad. For more than a week, every night, like clockwork, from around 8:30pm to 11:00pm, my download speeds drop dramatically. I go from surfing at 700Kbps - 1Mbps, to drowning anywhere below 100Kbps. The worst download speed I saw from my numerous testing was 17Kbps. I called Earthlink, who I have DirecWay through, and they've been no help at all. In fact, they've been ridiculous. Everything they've told me to do has been something I would have done way before I resort to calling tech support. Of course there was the usual, "there's nothing we can do...." and "the speeds aren't guaranteed..." I also heard my speed drops are due to the seasons changing or something on my end, such as my computers. I couldn't believe when the tech people told me that my all too consistent speed drops were because of my computers. I have several high-end Macs and all of them show the speed drops. NOTHING changes when I connect directly into the modem (DW6000), knowing for sure there are no other computers on my wireless network; (there's usually only one on at a time in the first place). I have done everything, even re-registering my modem, and nothing has worked. ANY help, suggestions, ideas, etc. would be appreciated. Is anyone else having this problem or has anyone else HAD this problem? I'm located in West Grove, PA. my longitude is 95 West (from my DW6000 Info. page), and I don't know what satellite I'm on. Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to make sure I included all the necessary information.

- Shawn

• 1 month later...

ThinkDiff89

I'm on the same sat you are and I'm getting good speeds just about all day (1000 down/25 up).  When I say good I mean good for a dw6000.

The first step to getting good speed with dway is making sure you are getting a good signal and your cross pol is setup right.  The xpol (receive/transmit) on your sat should most likely be vertical/horizontal.  I hear occasionally the installer can get these reversed and has to force the xpol to pass.  This can greatly reduce upload speeds and can harm your equipment.

After adjusting hardware, you just need to make sure your hard drive is clean, defragmented and you are free of viruses and spyware.

Since you are on a mac, I don't know if registry cleaning applies, but that is a must on windows machines.

Registry tweaking can work (on windows anyway) but seems to be a crap shoot as far as how much it helps.

Unfortunately, I've known people who have just never got good speeds from dway no matter what they do.

Good luck.

If your cross pol is ok and there seems to be nothing else wrong then nothing is wrong.  SOMETIMES (i have had this problem)  depending on the time of year you may have a week or two of bad speeds.  I'm not sure why but sometimes there is a "window" of time that just seems the ol DW wont work well - My best advice is to just wait it out.  But first check that cross pol by going to advanced and checking it - it should pass every time. if it fails then that is your problem  - But dont wig out too much - it will clear up and run faster during peak hours in a week or 2 or 3.

This my DW speed at peak evening time on chepo consumer rate.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 796 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 97 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Mon Oct 24 2005 18:43:24 GMT-0700

Bottom Line:: 14X faster than 56K 1MB download in 10.56 sec

Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 95.44 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-42HT8XV7P

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 135 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 17 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Mon Oct 24 2005 18:47:14 GMT-0700

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 60.24 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 175.51 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FPWIQ5H82