Microsoft's new Laser mouse...

Swimmer

Is everyone making gaming mice these days? Once the domain of specialty companies like Razer, mice began growing more into the mainstream when Logitech put gaming-oriented mice in stores last year with the introduction of the MX510.

Logitech was the first to up the ante this year with the remarkable G5 Laser Optical Mouse, and Razer has a new high-end laser-powered mouse as well, the Copperhead. In fact, it seems that if you don't have a Laser-powered mouse, you just don't have a gaming mouse anymore. Logitech was first to market with such a device, the MX1000. Laser-powered optical mice replace the less-focused LED with a laser, offering more precise movement and better tracking across a wider variety of surfaces.

Read More

If you can turn it over, and use it to put on a laser light show to a Depeche Mode cd, then I will definately buy one today. :haha: :haha: That would be awesome :D

I think the laser shuts off if you put it in the air.. At least my optical mouse does, but I don't have a laser inside (I think.. I have no experience with mouse hardware :cry:) .. lol :D

I think the laser shuts off if you put it in the air.. At least my optical mouse does, but I don't have a laser inside (I think.. I have no experience with mouse hardware :cry:) .. lol :D

I hope so for my 2 year old's sake.

He grabs my optical mouse now and tries to look at it before goes to low light mode.

Instant lasik surgery....ouch.

He grabs my optical mouse now and tries to look at it before goes to low light mode.

That's quite true.. And it would be pretty bad if it happened.. A solution could possibly be a plastic cap or something that you put on so the laser cannot go through and then you take it off each time you want to use the mouse.. Or something like that.. Microsoft and the other input device makers should make that kind of "eye protection" device.. :D

If you just have a regular LED mouse, than there's nothing to worry about, aside from the brightness of the light. It's mostly the same type of LED you see for your computer's power button for example.

It's the laser mice you have to be careful about. They can blind you. Most laser things come with a warning like "Class 1 Laser product".

i lost count of the times i stood at the checkout and noticed a flickering dot out of the corner of my eye. then again i am fairly tall and i guess a lot of people are shielded from the scanner field by the counter or the register, whatever. but those things are harmless, else you can be assured someone would have pulled a class action lawsuit out of their hat against em.

If you just have a regular LED mouse, than there's nothing to worry about, aside from the brightness of the light. It's mostly the same type of LED you see for your computer's power button for example.

It's the laser mice you have to be careful about. They can blind you. Most laser things come with a warning like "Class 1 Laser product".

The MX1000 is a class 1 laser.. it has a power of .5miliwatts..  there is no danger to the eye or body.. other devices that use class 1 are cd players and small laser printers.