DNS severs, Speed, and TreeWallk program

compuworm

OK, first I should admit right off I am a noob at this stuff but I can't seem to stop myself from wanting to make my system  put out like a broken candy machine.  Anyway, I found these links and though others might find some useful information. 

I use comcast as my ISP and although there are some damn good links in the Testmy.net forums regarding comcast I haven't seen anything regarding DNS problems and comcast (probably didn't look hard enough).  Specifically, I mean how is DNS linked to speed?  Is comcast's DNS server numbers better than, lets say, public DNS severs numbers?  How do I find those DNS values that work best for me? 

Further, how many here are using TreeWalk (TreeWalk is a "free personal use", automatically installed DNS name caching only server which is similar to, but more efficient than using your default ISP's DNS servers)?  Anyway below is some links take a look and let me know your thoughts or just tell me to shut up.

Thanks,

compuworm

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12909225

http://ntcanuck.com/downloads.htm

http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2005/4/7/563752.html (look at the six text box down)

I use comcast as my ISP and although there are some damn good links in the Testmy.net forums regarding comcast I haven't seen anything regarding DNS problems and comcast (probably didn't look hard enough).  Specifically, I mean how is DNS linked to speed?  Is comcast's DNS server numbers better than, lets say, public DNS severs numbers?  How do I find those DNS values that work best for me? 

Thanks,

compuworm

DNS translates the address you type into an IP address on the internet. If the server is slow, it can take longer for that translation to happen. Other that that, it shouldn't affect your speeds too much. I personally use 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 for my DNS servers. I'm also on Comcast.

During a phone conversation with Linksys technical they inquired what my DNS values were and they were what you stated you are currently using.  They told me they where public DNS values and I should use Comcast DNS values: Primary: 63.240.76.4 and Secondary: 204.127.198.4.  Yes, I did see a speed increase but I am still wondering exactly how different DNS values help. 

Further, what do you know about the mentioned, TreeWalk program??

Thanks,

Compuworm

During a phone conversation with Linksys technical they inquired what my DNS values were and they were what you stated you are currently using. They told me they where public DNS values and I should use Comcast DNS values: Primary: 63.240.76.4 and Secondary: 204.127.198.4. Yes, I did see a speed increase but I am still wondering exactly how different DNS values help.

Further, what do you know about the mentioned, TreeWalk program??

Thanks,

Compuworm

If you use a dns server that is closer and under less of a load, the name to ip address translation will take less time, thus you will connect to the requested server (web page) quicker.  If your dns server is slow, you will have to wait for the translation, making your connection to the web sites' server slower when you first try to browse to that site.