New 'Dial-up' Speed Record

ROM-DOS

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rom-dos .............. why would you lie about 56k Speed

it's technically impossible to go over 53.3kB/sec

V.90 is an ITU-T recommendation for a modem, allowing 56 kbit/s download and 33.6 kbit/s upload. It was developed between March 1998 and February 1999. It is also known as V.Last as it was anticipated to be the last standard for modems operating near the channel capacity of POTS lines to be developed.

Pete ~ I'm not lying about anything ~ I'm just as confused as anyone and everyone.

[move][move]:::..[/move] Download Stats [move]..:::[/move][/move]

Connection is:: 123 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 15 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Oct 7 22:50:38 PDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB download in 68.27 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 48.19 % faster than the average for host (nocharge.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-D62KN0EAJ

Dude for the last time , post a Screen shot of you downloading something and then you can keep posting your scores but until that stop posting these fake a$$ scores and bragging about something you don't have.

really rom-dos...why don't u do as they ask...i have to wonder myself now...hmmmm...we know now that u know how to do it and that u know what's being asked cuz u posted a scr prt of u dl'ing a li'l dinky file and they asked u to do that with something bigger...so why aren't u doing it...???  :tongue:  :icon_scratch:

OMG ~ I didn't come here to 'brag' or to post fake a$$ scores - (as though I would know how to do that) ~ someone post a fake a$$ score and let's see if we can validate it!

I was just amazed (as anyone) when I first posted with a connection of 64 Kbps ~ 'over cap'.  Then I tryed a test without the progress bar and got 165 Kbps and started to wonder what was causing these scores.  I thought, maybe it has to do with loading graphics - since that seems like the only difference I've noticed going back to 'dial-up' from Comcast HS ~ though, I can still stream 'Google Earth' pretty well and loading pages with heavy graphics only takes 2-3 seconds longer.

As for downloading large files from the net ~ I can use a downloader(FreshDownload) with up to 8 'simultaneus conections'.

I'm not, in any way, thinking I'm competing with HS cable ~ lol ~ but, I do think connecting above my 'cap' is somewhat interesting. I thought maybe it had to do with 'turning off' my modem compression and enabling MS MPPC?  I do know it has to do with my CableNut settings in some way ~ 'cause if I completely 'clear'em' I'm back to 'normal' 56k standards. ~ another reason I'm here ~ wondering if anyone might have any insight as to what those settings might be, that are allowing me to 'over cap'?

. . .and yes, there is a 'dial-up burst' when I first start downloading ~ as I have explained earlier in this overly scutinized topic ~ lol ~ but, if you want to give some feed back on what some of the CableNut settings I'm using - that may be allowing me to 'over cap', I'm all ears.

I hate messing with something that seems to be doing 'well' ~ but, I usually do anyway!! (always thinking - it could be better ~ lol)

. . .anyway, here's to your 'fake a$$' scathing skepticism.  ~ lighten up ~  lol

ROM-DOS : I haven't said your results are fake .I even tried the tweaks in the link & did get a small increase from a couple of them.I wasn't able to get the compression part of the tweaks to work for my OS but thats probably because it ME  & not XP.I  hope you can figure out what settings are allowing you to get the fast speed.Could you post a current screenshot of your cablenut manual tweak screen I know its XP but I would like to see if I might change some of the simular settings.Since clearing cablenut returns your OS to normal 56K speeds it must be there or how the cablenut settings affect the other tweaks.

To those that don't beleive ROM_DOS is getting the speed he is posting put in a link for a large DL say about a 100 MB.Maybe he will do it & post a screenshot if he feels like it.

OMG ~ I didn't come here to 'brag' or to post fake a$$ scores - (as though I would know how to do that) ~ someone post a fake a$$ score and let's see if we can validate it!

I was just amazed (as anyone) when I first posted with a connection of 64 Kbps ~ 'over cap'.  Then I tryed a test without the progress bar and got 165 Kbps and started to wonder what was causing these scores.  I thought, maybe it has to do with loading graphics - since that seems like the only difference I've noticed going back to 'dial-up' from Comcast HS ~ though, I can still stream 'Google Earth' pretty well and loading pages with heavy graphics only takes 2-3 seconds longer.

As for downloading large files from the net ~ I can use a downloader(FreshDownload) with up to 8 'simultaneus conections'.

I'm not, in any way, thinking I'm competing with HS cable ~ lol ~ but, I do think connecting above my 'cap' is somewhat interesting. I thought maybe it had to do with 'turning off' my modem compression and enabling MS MPPC?  I do know it has to do with my CableNut settings in some way ~ 'cause if I completely 'clear'em' I'm back to 'normal' 56k standards. ~ another reason I'm here ~ wondering if anyone might have any insight as to what those settings might be, that are allowing me to 'over cap'?

. . .and yes, there is a 'dial-up burst' when I first start downloading ~ as I have explained earlier in this overly scutinized topic ~ lol ~ but, if you want to give some feed back on what some of the CableNut settings I'm using - that may be allowing me to 'over cap', I'm all ears.

I hate messing with something that seems to be doing 'well' ~ but, I usually do anyway!! (always thinking - it could be better ~ lol)

. . .anyway, here's to your 'fake a$$' scathing skepticism.  ~ lighten up ~  lol

boy i'd be doing screen shots all over the place of all my settings if i were you...before i"d start messing with any settings...

ya know there's always gonna be nay sayers...especially when there's no explanation...

:)

Thanks ROM-DOS  I compared it with mine for ME Mostly you are using more on the default TTL than I had & your RWIN settings are larger. your is 25696 I was using 11680.I put a new one in at 26280 which is an even multiple of 1460 my MSS but close to the one you use.The other comparible settings were the same.I didn't get a speed increase on the test but web pages are some faster.

ROM-DOS : I started with 98SE then was given the ME.I have a stock IBM made in 2000 so I think 9X or ME work better with the older PC.I have gotte familiar with using it.When I get a new PC eventually It will have XP or newer.That may be a while.

The nagle I kept seeing it was on in the NDT test & I didn't know what it was so I serfed some info on it.I wanted to see what would happen if I turned it off.But only found info on NT & up apparently thats not even in all those OS's.

I still think your DefaultReceiveWindow,GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize,&TcpWindowSize should all be the same setting & that should be a multiple of your MSS.The largest possible under 65535 is 64240.If you use larger than 65535 you have to enable scaling by

setting Tcp1323Opts to 1  but scaling can slow you down if you don't need it.If I used scalling I would set 128480 for the RWIN settings or 256960 & so on.

It looks like you DefaultSendWindow is based on 1024 I haven't read about setting it since ME doesn't have a setting for the send window.Right now its

16 X1024 =16384 If you want to experiment try 32 X1024=32768 so use 32768 for the send setting.That is for upload speed.If that slows your upload just use smaller even multiples of 1024 until it is uploading at it max.If the 32768 is the max try going higher.

Me doesn't have anything that shows the % of compression.

I bet almost every member has a dial-up modem internal or external but a poll would find out I guess.

Even though you showed screenshots of your downloading, you're only showing the first couple seconds (10+) of the download, why not show what your speeds are with about 5-10 minutes in? My download speeds start out high (over 20kb/sec) then slows down. I'm not calling you a liar...but I do want to know what you been doing to get such speeds, I was mainly looking for improvements in my ping while playing CS, I get about 250 now with STAC Compression from 330+ along with looking for improvements in my downloads. I'm using the same internet provider as you are.

ROM-DOS:I found out why turning off the compression in modem properties didn't work for for me.The problem with MS/MPPC not  working was not with Windows but with my ISP.I got an answer back to an e-mail to their tech department.I will put it in this post

This is in response to the message you sent asking several questions. Allow me to answer them in the order asked.

1. We do not support MPPC.

2. We do not support v.44

3. We do not support v.92 protocols in your area at this time.

Sincerely,

Cameron Cook

NTS Help Desk Technician Level 2

[email protected]

1-800-687-5556

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.12.4/143 - Release Date: 10/19/2005

ROM-DOS;You're probably right about looking for another ISP this is my 3rd one.I just don't like the  hassle of changing my e-mail .I put in a test because it shows my ISP. nts-online.net

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 45 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 6 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Thu Oct 20 03:03:32 CDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 1X faster than 56K 1MB download in 170.67 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 3.62 % of your hosts average (nts-online.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-W7XPB1A3N