Many Problems

Guest Pacers Fan

Guest Pacers Fan

I have an HP Pavilion running on Windows ME. I have 128 MB of RAM, 60 GB (5 of which I'm using) hard drive, and a Pentium 4 Processor. My problems are listed below:

1. My computer has suddenly started freezing randomly. It doesn't matter if I have all my memory space taken or am just browsing the web with nothing else open, it just happens without reason.

2. Twice in the past week my computer has re-started itself without my command.

3. A few months ago I was able to run Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, and Firefox all that the same time not in Safe Mode without much difference in speed. Now if I'm browsing and have Ad-Aware running or Spybot even open, my computer runs much slower. Actually, I used to be able to run Scandisk in normal mode.

4. While running Ad-Aware, I've noticed that it freezes for a long period of time (13:06 last time) every time it gets to Spybot Search and Destroy (file 37,000 something)

Computer helping programs I have: Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, RegSupreme, Spyware Blaster, HiJackThis, Crap Cleaner, and AntiVir.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Guest Pacers Fan

to point 4 it could be taking a long time analyzing files quarantied with s&d.

How do I fix this?

the restarts could be a temperature or power supply issue. have you checked to make sure all the fans are running? specially cpu?

My one fan is running properly.

Take alook at the below link I know you have this program but there is another website associated with this utility that allows you to paste the copied log file of Hijackthis into the form at: hjt.iamnotageek.com.  I hope it helps.

compuworm

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-8306.0

I'll post my log there for more information. Thanks for the link.

Pacer Fan,

Have you taken look at your Error logs?  If you have WinXP go to the below link:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-8087.0

I hope this helps,

Compuworm

P.S.  Have you also tried to uninstall and reinstall your NIC driver?  Also, make sure you are at 10 full duplex once the driver is reinstalled.  Even if this is not the problem it should increase your speed, I hope?

You can try clearing your disk cache for IE, which I assume you are using for your browser.  Try booting into safe mode then run your scans again from there.  To get to safe mode:  as your machine starts up, hit the F8 key to get the list of boot options, then select safe mode.  Make sure you have the latest updates for your scanning software before re-scanning. 

Guest Pacers Fan

You can try clearing your disk cache for IE, which I assume you are using for your browser.

I'm using Opera, which is identified as IE. I make sure to clean my cache at least once every two days.

Try booting into safe mode then run your scans again from there.

AIM can be exploited to download viruses, etc.

You can download Hijackthis from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php

Unzip and run a scan then copy your results and paste them into this analyzer: http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/

If it finds any problems and your not sure whether you should remove the entries just post the results from the analyzer if you want. 

I already did, and removed two entries.

If you run the machine for a while in Safe Mode, does it do the same thing?  If it doesn't then it most likely is a software issue of some sort but if it does, it could be a piece of hardware, such as a bad memory chip, video card, etc.

Pacers Fan : Could it be your virtual memory.First try letting windows manage it unless you already are.If this doesn't help disable virtual memory & go to safe mode then defrag in safe mode.Then select let windows manage virtual memory again.reboot.

If that doesn't help Try a thorough scandisk from safe mode This will take several hours so don't do it if you need your PC soon.

Guest Pacers Fan

Pacers Fan : Could it be your virtual memory.First try letting windows manage it unless you already are.If this doesn't help disable virtual memory & go to safe mode then defrag in safe mode.Then select let windows manage virtual memory again.reboot.

If that doesn't help Try a thorough scandisk from safe mode This will take several hours so don't do it if you need your PC soon.

I have no idea how to enable/disable virtual memory. I know about Defrag and Scandisk, but I've forgot about them. I'll run Scandisk tonight.

Pacers Fan: First to get to your virtual memory in ME.Control PanelSystemPerformanceVirtual Memory once there select "Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings" If it is not already set there. Reboot.

If it is already there then select disable virtual memory & reboot to safe mode. Once in safe mode

Defrag & reboot to safe mode.Then run the through scandisk it may hang or give a warning that it has started 10 times do you want to continue to receive this message select no if you get this message.Let the scandisk complete this takes a long time.If it continues to hang you will probably have to go to Advanced & select free lost file fragments.When it finishes Go back to your Virtual Memory & select "Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings" Reboot to normal.

Guest Pacers Fan

Scandisk didn't work because I forgot to turn off my screen saver. Then defrag didn't work because the file had errors on it. I"ll run it again this Tuesday.

Safe mode isn't as good as it was before, either. For instance, some HP helping program pops up when it loads, but always freezes. I do notice a decline in performance in safe mode, though.

What is the name of the HP program?  Also, how much ram is being reported in windows vs how much you're supposed to have?  (to see this go to Start Menu>Settings>Control Panel> then double click on System icon).  The ram will be reported on that screen.  If the amount reported in Win is different than the installed amount your supposed to have, there is a problem with your memory.  Also, check the Device Manager tab and see if there are any devices with yellow or red marks on them.

You can download another registry cleaner, such as tweaknow at www.tweaknow.com and run a reg scan.  It may find something that your other scans have missed.

Guest Pacers Fan

What is the name of the HP program?

Nevermind. It actually works now.

Also, how much ram is being reported in windows vs how much you're supposed to have?