Direcway - Is this normal?

Xylem

I recently upgraded to using the direcway sattelite internet, from being on a 28k connection for about a year (56k modem, just  a bad location).  I play World of Warcraft.  During times such as now (4:44am) the speeds are incredible, 726k down 120up right now. and absolutely no delay while playing world of warcraft (861ms latency).  But during most parts of the day, the speeds are just ridiculously low. (I've seen it get as low at 72kbps, but usually it's around 150-270kbps).  And World of Warcraft is virtually unplayable at those times, (usually around 1600ms) sometimes it will take a good 10 seconds for the game to respond to my keystroke.  I understand the concept of traffic, and know that the speeds are bound to be higher during hours where less people are online, but is it normal for Direcway to slow down that dramatically?

Actually, a lot of DW7000 users are having the same problem as you.  It has something to do with either the IA8 satellite or the Las Vegas NOC.  Being that it is on a new Satellite, I dont think it has anything to do with it being oversold.  However, it might be that a certain transponder is acting up.  I heard someone else mention that they called Dway and they were having a problem with the NOC proxy.  The problem should be resolved soon I would hope.

the isolation number is your transmit speed. you can check this by going to the dw control panel (http://192.168.0.1/fs/registration.html i believe. then select antenna pointing test. don't check the OPI box, and do select "ACP" (auto cross pol). you should end up with a signal number (73) and an isolation number, prolly in the 60's. If thats the case, than a reaim should prolly be in order. Also, you can check your frequency number or transponder under the same dwcontrol panel. on the tab on the far right (Overview i think). Hope that helps

Long, interesting, and very unhelpful conversation with DirecWay online tech support. Saved it as a .txt file to avoid leaving an abnormally long post.

Here's a summed up version for those of you that don't feel like reading it all: According to jason, the isolation number does not effect browing speed in any way, shape or form. It would be too technical for me to understand if he were to explain to me exactly what it does effect. Even though my scores are below the "required", everything should be fine.

sorry to say, they are the same way to their "Hughes Certified Installers" too. Try threatining to switch to Wild Blue and they should listen.

The isolation number is actually your transmit speed. It does very much affect your browsing speed in that you already have a high latency, so any increase in the time it takes to transmit your info will stall your browsing even more than it is already. Depending what satellite your on, your isolation, or cross pol should be between 61 to 70 minimum for decent speeds. The direcways i install have been getting isolation in the high 80s and low 90s. If you can get good numbers, it will sail and also not kick out as bad in bad weather.

Long story short, you got lied to, so did most people that deal with direcway and you need to call and complain alot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i hope i at least straighted it out for you.

sorry to say, they are the same way to their "Hughes Certified Installers" too. Try threatining to switch to Wild Blue and they should listen.

The isolation number is actually your transmit speed. It does very much affect your browsing speed in that you already have a high latency, so any increase in the time it takes to transmit your info will stall your browsing even more than it is already. Depending what satellite your on, your isolation, or cross pol should be between 61 to 70 minimum for decent speeds. The DirecWays i install have been getting isolation in the high 80s and low 90s. If you can get good numbers, it will sail and also not kick out as bad in bad weather.

Long story short, you got lied to, so did most people that deal with DirecWay and you need to call and complain alot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i hope i at least straighted it out for you.

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks.

Whew.... cool. If your brave and feel like trying to tweak it yourself, look on the net and try to find hughes meter for direcway. Its called and OPI. (outdoor pointing interface) if you can buy or borrow one, i can walk you through using it

realistically, they should come and fix it, but we've already established that hughes sucks

good luck

Hah, nice thanks for the info.  I think I'll just force them to come out and do it though.  Or I may just cancel and go with Wildblue.  I've had so many problems with Direcway. Getting satellite internet installed, and having it not even work for another week, then not work correctly 70% of the time, isn't very fun.