theGODl337

hackers are....  

38 members have voted

1. 1. hackers are....

• generally good
    • evil bastards
    • l337 ru13r5 0f 73h w0r1d
    • some good some bad

you should have specified the definition of hacker you are using. since you didn't, i'm going to go with the one from popular culture, meaning hackers are destructive malevolent self-centered bastards that break other people's systems for the sheer hell of it and then go and claim they are so cool and helpful for showing other people the holes by plastewring stupid ##$# all over their hacked sites and systems.

thats pretty much what im doing

still need personal opinions of though

including some stereotypical views

which is y i came here

i knew reso would at least give me the stereotype opinion i needed :)

:haha: reso the media bitch!! :haha:

just jking reso ;)

now if somone can give me thoughts that are original that would be great!

Textbook definitions are as follows:

Hacker: A person who uses advanced computer skills to attack computers, but not with a malicious intent.

Cracker: A per who violates system security with a malicious intent.

(Security+ Guide to Network Security by Mark Ciampa)

Basically, a hacker usually breaks in just to see if they can, they do it for personal enjoyment, or for the benefit of the system.

if you want people's opinions on hackers you need to give the definition of hacker and have people opine on that group of people. otherwise you can get people giving you an opinion that think a hacker is a lumberjack, and that would mess up your results since you think a hacker is something other than a lumberjack.

its not a science paper

its an opinion based paper on what people think hackers are and their views on hackers

i need to know what others think hackers are

therefore defining a hacker for them is not a good idea

but for those who arent to sure about the subject

i mean computer hackers

whether u include crackers in that or dont distinguish between the two is part of your view

When I think of "hacker" I think of just about everybody that are in to computers, because in a way there is a little bit of hacker in all of them, and I'm not saying in a bad way, it's just natural to want to be the best at what you do and if you have that knowledge, you probably are very good at what you do.

When it comes to computers I figure I am fairly average, maybe a little above average and I sometimes wish I would like to learn more so I could hack the "crackers" for all the crap they put people through that are just trying to use PC's for fun and or business purposes, and they have to run anti-spyware....anti-virus....anti-trojan ware and firewalls just to get on the net.

Oh well that's what I think anyway.... ;)

I hear hacker, I think of several types of people.

The cracker, that cracks software, cdkeys, accounts, etc.

and the hacker.

people that grab you by the /chmod and yank yer :#root.

then, video game hackers,

console crackers.

mp3 pirates.

Warez barons.

irc botnet script kiddies/croons.

I'm guilty of using hacks in CS 1.6. UnrealTourney. etc. OpenGL wallhacks, aimbots, no recoil, see thru/aim thru walls, and much more. But that ruined a few wonids/steam accounts. I no longer violate my EULA, molest maybe, but not violate.

What genre/type of hacker are u refering too...

phreakers r skilled.

figuring out the weenie whiste blows at a tone of 1200baud.

[ur=http://www.webopedia.com]Webopedia.com

hacker

Last modified: Monday, August 25, 2003

A slang term for a computer enthusiast, i.e., a person who enjoys learning programming languages and computer systems and can often be considered an expert on the subject(s). Among professional programmers, depending on how it used, the term can be either complimentary or derogatory, although it is developing an increasingly derogatory connotation. The pejorative sense of hacker is becoming more prominent largely because the popular press has coopted the term to refer to individuals who gain unauthorized access to computer systems for the purpose of stealing and corrupting data. Hackers, themselves, maintain that the proper term for such individuals is cracker.

[ur=http://www.webopedia.com]Webopedia.com

hacker

Last modified: Monday, August 25, 2003

A slang term for a computer enthusiast, i.e., a person who enjoys learning programming languages and computer systems and can often be considered an expert on the subject(s). Among professional programmers, depending on how it used, the term can be either complimentary or derogatory, although it is developing an increasingly derogatory connotation. The pejorative sense of hacker is becoming more prominent largely because the popular press has coopted the term to refer to individuals who gain unauthorized access to computer systems for the purpose of stealing and corrupting data. Hackers, themselves, maintain that the proper term for such individuals is cracker.

nice :) ...people....im a hacker :)

Most people that get 'hacked' usually dont take many precautions to secure their system..

You wouldn't belive how many people leave open shares on their win 2k, nt, etc comps..And no passwords, but people are starting to catch on to the password thing...thats why the think they are smart and create a password of Administrator on the Administrator account..wow

I used to have a Windows 2000 Professional box set up to test on, Wouldn't believe how insecure that OS can be.  But if you update windows and password your account (with a smart password), your going to solve most your issues on being hacked.

I recommend anyone interested in the subject to hear the views from the hackers themselves.

For anyone who has not watched it, here it is:

Cult of the Dead Cow's "Disinformation" documentary; contains interviews & commentary by cDc members 'Sir Dystic', 'Deth Vegetable', 'Tweety Fish' & other masked/disguised members.

You need quicktime player & it is about 12 minutes playing time.

http://www.jeah.net/~2ndstyle/cult_of_the_dead_cow_-_disinformation.mov

-JxL  ;)