Intermitant DSL problem

ArcticWolf

Hi all, maybe Van will see this message, but I just got DSL today and I have an intermitant problem with it.... it will download etc,etc just fine.... but sometimes when I try to go to a different web site, it just stalls for about 15 secs and then DSL finally kicks in and loads the page..... any ideas?

Okay, not sure what all those meant, but im using bell sympatico, on a speedstream 5200 modem, not usb...i'm using the ethernet connection to my dlink card... no router at this time and it is not wireless.

Sorry almost forgot...I'm using Win98se and browser is IE6

NIC???, but i guess the means a newer driver for my dlink card... I just downloaded the newest driver just now.... as for spyware, my spybot S&D didn't detect any, also using AVG antivirus, but no firewall. I will try those internet resets you were talking about though and let you know.

hey junkie how exactly does that work I am supposed to have a designated ip address static if you will and this little maneuver worked on mine also however I did not change my dns search order or my gateway on any of the other tcpip values in other words I can go to any site with a bogus ip address and do any thing I want and not get recognized?

The properties of a DSL connex allow users to enter a dummy ip, reason being most DSL setups use PPoE/Virtual private network; in essence your machine is on a mini-"LAN" when using a DSL modem as the real ip is stored & broadcast from the modem/router.

Glad to be of help guys  ;)

-JxL

hey junkie how exactly does that work I am supposed to have a designated ip address static if you will and this little maneuver worked on mine also however I did not change my dns search order or my gateway on any of the other tcpip values in other words I can go to any site with a bogus ip address and do any thing I want and not get recognized?

i wish this was the case  heh  :twisted:

as i stated earlier, DSL setups act just like a LAN with a router & a hub/switch; your static IP is visible & very traceable to your gateway. The DSL router however masks your machine with a dummy ip. A bit more secure than your average cable modem setup & it is of a different protocol but strill reliable.

peace~~

-JxL  ;)