Connection issue

Xylem

My mother was running anti-virus software (AVG) on her computer, and it picked up a trojan.  After 'sucessfully' removing the trojan, the computer no longer has internet access, or can it even connect to the router, or any other computers on the network.  Using any browser an error page comes up immediately.  Anything I can do to resolve this issue without having to reformat it?  It's not a big deal to reformat it, I'm just lazy.  And it would be nice to learn another way to deal with this issue, for future reference.

What trojan was it?

Get to a command prompt  Start>Run type in cmd then click run then type at the c: prompt:

ipconfig /renew

After it is done, type ipconfig /all

If the ip address is 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x then there is a problem connecting to your router. 

let us know how it goes.

I'm not sure, I'd have to check again. It's probably still there and I'll have to reformat anyway. Thanks for the link

I edited my response above... :)  Try the ipconfig first. 

If you want to be sure its gone, download trojanHunter and scan with that.  www.trojanhunter.com after the connection is restored.

I'll have more to post tomorrow, the compter is located in a differnet room than this one, and I've yet to sleep. Summoning the energy to walk to the other room would prove difficult right now  :tard:

I'm not sure, I'd have to check again. It's probably still there and I'll have to reformat anyway.  Thanks for the link

Before reformatting, try reinstalling your nic. Uninstall it from the device manager, then reboot the computer, and Windows should detect the 'new' hardware.

Did you try restarting your router? Kind of a stupi question, but that may be the problem too :D

It's definitely not the router, have two other computers on the network that are running without any problems.

Since the other 2 pcs have internet access, I would too say that it is either the NIC card or Windows that is creating a problem for the internet connection.. First, try a different NIC card if you have one (different Network card), so we can eliminate that as the problem.. Maybe its a faulty cable to the router from the pc that has no access.. Have u tried switching the cables from the problematic pc to the router (using a different cable..)? :)

Yes, I'm familiar with most of those programs.  I pretty much just use Ad-aware, but like I said it was my mom's computer. Good to know some other programs to use incase I get something that won't go away though, thanks.