Warped CRT

PioneerCrazed

I've got a 17" CRT that came with my emachines a couple years ago that has started acting up. Everything that's horizontal is perfect, except it runs off the sides. But the vertical is warped like this )_(

When I turn it on it squeals while trying to adjust, then it ends up with this distorted image. I've messed with the refresh rates, but no luck. Is there any thing I can do, or is this a common death of CRT's?

Thanks

Do you have any speakers, motors or florescent lights near the monitor? If so try moving them. Also try plugging the monitor into an outlet away from the computer. E.g.: a less used outlet. Also, have you checked the cable that connects the monitor to the computer? Make sure it's tightly connected and has no bent pins.

Well, I'm running it on my OLD Compaq, you're gonna love these specs.

AMD-K6-2 400mhz

256mb ram(I just added a stick of 128, woot!)

Video: ATI Rage LT Pro AGP 2x

I was using this monitor on it for a few months, it worked fine, now it took a crap. (Actually about a month ago)

I've resorted back to using the original 15" Compaq.

The monitor is an Emachines, about 2.5 years old.

I just checked out craigslist.org and someone is selling a 20" for 10 bucks, that may be the solution. lol

Usually each time you turn on your monitor, it automatically degausses it self. You can tell by the image "shaking" when you turn the monitor on. There also probably is an option for degaussing on the on screen display. Do not degauss more than once every 20 minutes or you could ruin the monitor.

Another thing, see if the monitor works well with another computer, or if another monitor also looks distorted on the same computer as the current monitor.

I found degauss through the settings but it didn't fix the problem. I can use my 15" compaq monitor fine on this computer, it doesn't distort or anything like that. Neither did this one up until about a month ago.

Through settings, if I use the Sidepin option, it makes no difference. It's like the half of the CRT is not responding and doing what it wants, weird...

If I start hitting it, will it blow up in my face. I've got a feeling it might help. LOL  :lol:

From what you've said, it seems to definitely be a problem with that monitor. I'm no pro with monitors, BTW. The monitor could be overheating or it could be the monitor power supply. Did the problem happen to start after a storm of power outage?

If I start hitting it, will it blow up in my face. I've got a feeling it might help. LOL  :lol:

Hit it hard enough and Ka-boom!