Anyone know of a great DNS server

ArcticWolf

I'm looking for a DNS server to enter into my tcp/ip settings because I was talking with the tech from my ISP provider sympatico and he says there DNS server sucks..... He said the best DNS to get would be Google ..... since they have over 6000 DNS servers. I live in Montreal,Canada if that helps anyone.

Thanks for your time.

no real ISP would say that thing  :shock: .. Its either that the company is fake or very small or the guy wasn't a service representative.. Anyways, I don't think Google would allow u to connect to their DNS servers just like that .. Just use ur ISPs and if they're not very good, switch ISPs.. That's my suggestion :)

The 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.6 are open DNS servers belonging to Level3, a CLEC acquired by Verizon I believe or some other telco some some people argue they're Verizon DNS numbers but they do come back as registered to Level3.  They're free, fast, and reliable.  I use them all the time.  Try pinging each IP address and see which one might be faster for your location.  I find 4.2.2.3 is faster for my home and 4.2.2.1 is the 2nd fastest.  Speakeasy also has open DNS and so does Sprint. 

198.59.109.7 is also an intentionally public DNS server.

• 7 years later...