adelphia in puerto rico

i am just wondering if any other pr adelphia users are experiencing a similar problem: i see a bunch of traffic on the modem, and activity from the router to the modem, but no packages being routed to connected computers. this has gotten to the point where it is actually slowing my connection down some, adelphia tech support doesn't know what it could be. of course my router blocks icmp commands and doesn't forward any ports i don't want open, so i'm guessing there is something running itself against that wall for the last few days. i'm just puzzled, and close to taking the router out and connecting directly to the comp to see if the xp firewall catches on to something. but then i don't feel good about taking down one firewall when there is something weird going on.  :?::?: :?:

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the router still worked before i would guess it would work now if it is not broken or anything.. i don't think its spyware, because you are in this great forum :D.. It could be Windows firewall as you said.. If none of the above things is the cause  of the problem, System restore or format->reinstall are the way to go ;)

system restore, heck no. windows firewall, don't think so.

to make it clear, when not surfing (in fact, with no comp connected)

i see activity light on modem merrily blinking away, activity light for modem on router merrily blinking away but no activity to the connected comp. surfing etc. works fine, except for some slowdown due to (my guess at least) the weird activity on the line that i'm thinking the router is blocking. (it shows when it blocks a portscan in its log, which it isn't now, so it's either icmp commands or stuff directed at a certain port that it's blocking.) i was just wondering if anyone else on adelphia is seeing this junk on the line.

there are many people who have seen that on Puerto Rico, soo its not you only.

maybe its because they have now more users or something new they are testing to watch what we are downloading? =P

anyway the point is that most of the people are having that problem, including myself.

• 2 months later...

actually i did some pathpings and pings and traceroutes because i'm thinking about playing world of warcraft and i want to be sure of the line before i buy it and during the day the pings are 60-100 ish to the states but during the evening pings go up to 250+. the packet loss during the day is in the 1-3 percent range, which i find acceptable.

Yes during the day it can be better but still I see a packet loss of 10% at my end which is definitely not good. I'm wondering what kind of signal levels do you have ?? downstream and upstream?

Right now as I'm writing this to you is 9:40pm and is slow as expected. Web pages take a while to contact and retrieve info, something that doesn't usually happen during the day.

Yes during the day it can be better but still I see a packet loss of 10% at my end which is definitely not good. I'm wondering what kind of signal levels do you have ?? downstream and upstream?

Right now as I'm writing this to you is 9:40pm and is slow as expected. Web pages take a while to contact and retrieve info, something that doesn't usually happen during the day.

yea, it really sucks, I hope they fix this because I could access web pager quicker with 512KB DSL  :cry:

i have the feeling ever since adelphia sold to the locals here we have been getting the royal shaft from miami. the net up there has the miami traffic to deal with and we get what's left, which isn't much during the evening. as for dsl, had it, but that connection was dropping off completely so often it was no good. plus the fact that prtc by default blocked all ports, making pcanywhere connections impossible.

And btw im new to adelphia powerlink(onelinkpr.net) as we speak... I've only had it for about 5 days but still what I dont like is all the waiting. My browser has to wait a bit to get the info and display, other times is fast as hell. The problem? I think we merely have packet loss in transit at the HOP.

resopalrabotnick , I have done some tracert and what i've found, yep the miami hop is worse than crap. always giving me packet losses.

I'm gonna have to call an threaten them with DACO or the FCC or something so they fix this. Its ridiculous, I only get full speed when using a download accelerator, everything else is slow as hell (websites, P2P, 250+ms pings, lag in online games). Its really pissing me off, I hope Verizon Fios comes soon. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

I've called tech support at Onelinkpr.com all week and my download speed in the evening sucks. Less than 512kb in Guaynabo. They give me all kinds of excuses from,

we have problems with our DNS

your area has problems with latency (my pings are over 200)

and the last one was, your router is bad .

Online game play is impossible, it lags too much. If this does not get fixed this week, I'm calling DACO and getting my money back. One tech said, " well our SLA (service level agreement) says we don't gaurantee any speed", and I told him them to take off the tv ads that say upto 3 mbits, thats false advertising.

called em during sundays outage due to the switchover and got the reply i expected. it is due to the san juan cable buying the local split-off of adelphia that was never a 100% part of adelphia anyhow. with it now not even running under the adelphia name anymore they are getting the royal shaft from miami, where the PR link connects to the adelphia backbone. look at the traceroutes. all is well, usually, until it hits miami. and tracing a route to a PR server is worse, it goes to miami, then dallas then back.

according to the tech i talked to they are working on it, which i take as they are in negotiations with either adelohia for a decent connect or some other backbone provider in miami.

they said a bout a month to solve the problem, which sounds about right for negotiating a connection instead of fixing a technical problem. imo the adelphia servers in miami just can't take the load and/or the PR traffic is getting lower priority since it's not native adelphia traffic.

I call tell you this, I changed my DNS settings to Centennial (temp) and my browser is responding 75% faster, this means they have severe issuses with their DNS. Download speeds this morning went upto 4000 (over 3 mbits). Upload capped at about 375.

I went to their support page http://myaccount.onelinkpr.net/ to use their own speed test, check it out.

http://www.broadbandsupport.net/speedmeter/meter.php

Good luck...

Look at this..

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 300 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 37 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (server1)

Test Time:: Tue Jan 17 17:05:29 UTC-0400 2006

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB download in 27.68 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 13.77 % of your hosts average (onelinkpr.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-6UT2SYIV8

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 377 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 46 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (server1)

Test Time:: Tue Jan 17 17:06:50 UTC-0400 2006

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 22.26 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 18.18 % faster than the average for host (onelinkpr.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AZK1UYDGN

It really sucks, My upload is better than my download..

OMFG.