Bit torrent tutorial

Guest PeePs

Well, I was reading the bit torrent tutorial and I found someone I found kinda funny. I'm sure this is true, but maybe just not for me lol. It said.....

The speed you download is directly related to the speed you allow others to get parts of the file from you, so the more you give the more you get.

which doesn't seem to hold true for me! Bit torrent RARELY ever goes above a download speed of 20 KB/s for me. I have no idea what the problem is. It's not like only 5 other people have the files I want. There are usually at least 30 (almost always more) other people with the file, yet I can't get good download speeds. Upload speeds on the other hand..... I can get up to 115 KB/s upload withing 1 minute of putting up my bit torrent program. Even with my 115 upload my DL speeds are still hanging down at 10 KB/s or lower.

So pretty much what I'm saying is I'm not a big fan of bit torrent even though I use it to get a lot of stuff.

Well, I was reading the bit torrent tutorial and I found someone I found kinda funny. I'm sure this is true, but maybe just not for me lol. It said.....

which doesn't seem to hold true for me! Bit torrent RARELY ever goes above a download speed of 20 KB/s for me. I have no idea what the problem is. It's not like only 5 other people have the files I want. There are usually at least 30 (almost always more) other people with the file, yet I can't get good download speeds. Upload speeds on the other hand..... I can get up to 115 KB/s upload withing 1 minute of putting up my bit torrent program. Even with my 115 upload my DL speeds are still hanging down at 10 KB/s or lower.

So pretty much what I'm saying is I'm not a big fan of bit torrent even though I use it to get a lot of stuff.

I was at my friends house the other day and he was getting 600 KB/s off of that shit, I have never used it myself... but after seeing that I think I may just give it a try.

Never tested that but i heard a guy that limited hes upload speed to 90% of advertised, that gave him alot faster download rate

TCP need to send acknowledge packets and if your upload bandwith is full and cant send that, will relsult in that sender thinks the packet is loss and your download will decrease.

a good program to use is Net Limiter v 1.30

VanBuren :)

Give it 30 minutes. After 30 minutes i usually get the light to be green and i get a constant rate of about 110-120kbps. Thats about the average everyone will get even if you have a reallly fast connection. So just give it some time.

I leave it up for like 5 hours and i never ever get good download speeds! Winzero is most likely right that I need to open ports n **** for it to work best.... but I'm too **** lazy!

I DL at 200k consistantly, if you read the tutorial it also states NOT TO USE THE DEFAULT PORTS, 6881-6889, many isp's are limiting this. I know from experiance that my DL NEVER goes above 80 with default ports but when I move the ports it shoots up. And your DL is directly related to your upload. This doesnt mean you will DL at what you UL it means if you limit your upload or dont upload your DL will stink, if you give others lots of upload bandwith their client will in turn give you the same, the tracker keeps track of your UL/DL ratio and some trackers wont give you any bandwith unless you have a certain ratio. If you are uploading fast and downloading slow you just have it configured wrong and it can be fixed. If you are having problems just pm me Ill help you fix it. I have already helped several people fix theirs through pm and email since the tutorial was posted. :D

I also covered port forwarding in the tutorial as well. :wink:

Never tested that but i heard a guy that limited hes upload speed to 90% of advertised, that gave him alot faster download rate

TCP need to send acknowledge packets and if your upload bandwidth is full and cant send that, will relsult in that sender thinks the packet is loss and your download will decrease.

a good program to use is Net Limiter v 1.30

VanBuren :)

BitTornado has a automatic upload setting which works the best, but you are right I set mine to 85 when not on auto.Router or Firewall, bittornado is the best, no firewall/router, Sharezaa is VERY good.

CA3LE......... you and ur illegal uncapping of your connection will get you in trouble! HAKZ0R!

:lol::lol: I dont think he is going to get in as much trouble for his "uncapping" :lol::lol: as for his sharing of copyrighted files.. :x:x CA3LE you give P2P a BAD name, NO SHARING COPYRIGHTED material thats not waht its all about..... wait just a damn minute.. yes it is.. :D

CA3LE......... you and ur illegal uncapping of your connection will get you in trouble! HAKZ0R!

no.1 -- That is Linux

no.2 -- That isn't my home connection... it's TestMy.net's server :twisted:

I just put azureus on my server to mess around ;-) - for a little while I had 48 Mbps going out (a little under 6000KB/s)... lol, made some people happy that day :)

but took it down because I wouldn't want to lag your test results :?:P

Linux rocks lol. I just cant get my internet to work there :(

Oh and if that is your server with those great speeds, is there a way to share the connection with your other computer?

Shit I wish... I really could but I would need a point to point connection... I am in Phoenix and my server is in Texas, I don't really care that much :-P

Shit I wish... I really could but I would need a point to point connection... I am in Phoenix and my server is in Texas, I don't really care that much :-P

Hey...hey...HEEEYYYY, this is way off topic.. get back on topic before I lock this post and BAN your ass......... :haha: