Slow wireless speeds

jwade

I was just wondering if any one had any suggestions on how to speed up my wireless connection. my desktop computer gets the 4 meg download speeds i'm supposed to get. my laptop gets less than half that on 802.11g wireless.

Connection is:: 1587 Kbps about 1.6 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 194 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sun Oct 9 10:42:31 EDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 28X faster than 56K 1MB download in 5.28 sec

My typical download rate for my wireless system is 2500 Kbps which sucks.  my signal strenght is very high usually 70% or higher and my link quality is usually very good as well.  I have a linksys wireless adapter with speedbooster  with updated drivers and utility driver. 

I used hyperwrt for my router and I increased my transmit power to 67 % from the default linksys setting of 50 % and that is why I dont understand my download rate?  It should be better!  Any ideas would be appreciated.  My ISP is comcast I am suppose to get 6000 down and 384 up.

Thanks,

compuworm

P.S. I am using the newest cablenut program with Vanburen's settings.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1629 Kbps about 1.6 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 199 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Mon Oct 10 2005 14:11:52 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 29X faster than 56K 1MB download in 5.15 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 37.28 % of your hosts average (Comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-VM73BEUKY

P.P.S. I am usually connected at 54 Mbps using my adapter.

i have a belkin pre n router and notebook adapter, in tesing i usually get about 6-7mb down, im on comcast 8meg down/768 up, not that bad for have wpa enabled. Belkin pre n is not that great of a "router" if u play games, but i just use it as a access point so its perfect. best wireless router ive had. its on the expensive side but if u want unbeatable range and speed then its the best imo.

i have a belkin pre n router and notebook adapter, in tesing i usually get about 6-7mb down, im on Comcast 8meg down/768 up, not that bad for have wpa enabled. Belkin pre n is not that great of a "router" if u play games, but i just use it as a access point so its perfect. best wireless router ive had. its on the expensive side but if u want unbeatable range and speed then its the best imo.

that is damned good performance with wpa. :shock:

it's not just signal strength that has to do with speed. it might be some other devices around you, like cordless phones, that are affecting your speed. then again maybe your wireless is just slow. a 50 percent slowdown is not unusual, and you say your typical speed is 2500, so slightly less than half your cap. you can try changing the channel it uses by going into the routers setup, see if you can 'get away' from interference, but you might just be stuck at that speed.

Yes, thanks I did try and change the channel but this affected nothing.  No. I don't believe  this is the best I can get.  I have a friend who gets nearly his entire download rate with a wireless PC and he has the same kind of adapter that I do.  In fact I purchased the same adapter hoping to match his results.  No, its got to be something else?

• 2 months later...

wow. I have a computer wired to a wireless wrt54gs speedbooter linksys with the remote antenna base and 7db antenna's pointing the direction of a desktop with a wmp54gs speedbooster pci card, with oem antenna, and I am getting excellent just about all the time, with signal of 74%-78% and it's 200 ft away with 2 a wooden wall and a solid brick wall that is filled with concrete as well, but that computer is right by  window and the antenna is pointing at the window. download speeds are great 5800 down and 840 up. i get 6300/930 on my wired, adelphia connection 6/768.

both have van burens 6/768 cable nut.

i think i am doing pretty good then.