7000 sattelite different?

john6267

I canceled my 6000 just before the 30 days was up. I then ordered the 7000 off ebay. I decided to do the install myself, just change the reciever and modem. I called the guy that sold me the system and he walked me through the commission process. His only concern was he thought that the dish needed to point to another sattelite than the one the 6000 was pointed to. Well I didn't adjust the dish and It still commissioned fine. The problem that I am having is the uploads are the still sh!!TTYY 30k. I am supposedly on the proffesional plan 1m dn, 200 up. I am getting the 1 meg just not the upload speeds. Is it possible I need to direct my dish to another sattelite? Last thing I want to do is call direcway, especially since I changed the system myself.

Thanks, John

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, what you would need to do is first of all figure out where to point the dish. (find out where the bird you're supposed to be using is, find out where you are, then use one of the sites that offers calcs on where you would need to point. some astronomy sites offer this. or google for it.) then you need to get in touch with dw to get them to decomission and recomission the modem i guess. don't know if they will make a stink due to the fact that you would be doing the point yourself etc. etc.

well, the reason that i can understand they make a stink is that as opposed to a normal sat tv where all you do is receive on a dw you are actually transmitting back to the satellite. you transmit at 2 watts. that means with the signal strength over distance function it is mere milliwatts or fractions thereof once it reaches the bird. this is why grounding the system is so important. imagine you get a buildup of static electricity in the dish, or even worse a lightning strike on an improperly grounded dish. this could cause a discharge in the waveguide on the transmitter, causing a sudden spike in power levels. granted, a shortlived one, but a spike nonetheless. seeing as a geostationary bird is impossible to repair, and costly to put in place, the thought of someone firing a spike at the bird and causing one of the receiver signal amps to fry is something that raises the owners and operators hackles. i dont't know what the liability issues are like, as i have not seen the contract wi8th dw and the clauses therein concerning letting only qual'd personnel handle any adjustments, but imagine the bill for partially frying a bird.

Thats why the FCC requires a professional to install/point a 2way satellite dish.  However, since he is on 89W, the proper satellite for DW7000, he needs to check the grounding, and it might need to be reaimed.  Although a lot of DW7000 owners are reporting similar problems.  Some kind of problem on their end.

Ghostmaster, thanks for that site you gave me. It seems that all the 6000's installed in the last few months were pointed to the ia8 sattelite. I have a cross poll of 64, so don't think its an alignment issue. It might just be dway. Thanks for everyones help, this is a great site.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a certified dway installer. Non the less I despise dway! They use terms like "up to" and "blazing fast". Truth being I gave up on selling dways last year because no matter what you do for the customer the service stinks. As for the 7000, I did a mobil install for Ground Control which their mobile can use a dway, and the stats still were terrible. 31kbps up! It was pointed to IA8 - it's not the the satellite it's the network.

Everyone on this forum looks at upstreams and downstreams, but a the most critical factor is the CRI Contention Rate Index. It's all shared bandwidth: DSL, cable and satellite. How many other users are sharing the streams with you is the real question.

Here is the rub. Dway subsidizes the price of the equipment, they take about $700 to $800 loss on the equipment every time they light up a customer. So they break the "law of economics" now they have to break the "law of phisics" by increasing the CRI to an level that is far beyond the normal CRI for well performing system.

If you want a system to perform like a DSL or cable modem you have to put the right piece of equipment on the ground and manage the network correctly.

You can write me [email protected] if you want some straight answers.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1490 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 182 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sat Oct 29 09:45:31 CDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 27X faster than 56K 1MB download in 5.63 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 76.33 % of your hosts average (wctc.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-R75HLSTQJ

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 236 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 29 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Sat Oct 29 09:46:25 CDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 35.31 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 1.72 % faster than the average for host (wctc.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8OVKPJ1R5

• 3 weeks later...

mh. my bad. i guess it doesn't offer it, nor does it offer a manual input of sat position. however, there are so many sat position calculators out there, you should be able to goole for and find one that suits your needs. i'll give it a quick wirl.

edit.

there you are. kind of inaccurate input clicking your location on the map but it should help find the bird.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/ia8.html

this site has the same tracker for a bunch of birds as far as i can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Grounding the 7000 dish should not be relative to download speed, although if you live in an area with frequent lightning storms I wouldn't recommend skipping the grounding process.

Although static buildup due to a non-grounded dish could play havoc in one form or another, it's not going to fry a satellite transponder either.

The idea that FCC regulations prevent an end user from doing a self install or re-point is a debate that's been raging for quite awhile.