Is this possible to do?

Foxygirl

I'm pretty computer literate for the most part...except when it comes to networks. So I was wondering if it'd be possible to link my computer with a friend's so we'd have access to eachother's files.

We have different ISP's and he lives about 2 miles away which is well beyond my wireless network, heh. I have Adelphia cable and he has wireless net called Beamspeed or something like that. Any suggestions?

Windows XP is built to do just this you have to turn on the function and allow your friend to access them, its pretty simple. If your just looking to share a file or two there is a free website that lets you send any size file quickly by email. :D Oh and welcome, the girl names always get the warmest welcome round here so look out. :wink::lol:

http://www.sendthisfile.com/info.cfm

heres the link, very simple, any size file is ok and its completely free.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/ht/winxpsfs.htm

Try this if you are just looking to share your comp and files with your friend. :D

Thanks for the help, but I forgot to mention I'm still running Windows 98. I have a crappy old computer :( I need to get a new one, but until I can afford it I'm stuck with the old piece of junk I have now. Any ideas still?

By the way thanks for the welcome, and just so you aren't confused later on, I'm a guy. I chose the name cause it's a joke from when i played Halo with my friends. It just kinda stuck since. :wink:

You should have stuck with the whole "Im a girl thing" gets you better help. :lol: Anywho Im not sure then, like I said if your just wanting to share a few files the link to sendthisfile.com is good if not Im not sure but I bet someone here will come up with something.

By the way thanks for the welcome, and just so you aren't confused later on, I'm a guy. I chose the name cause it's a joke from when i played Halo with my friends. It just kinda stuck since. :wink:

Damn it... I thought there was a hot chick up in here... and in my home state, now I'm all bummed out... friggen false hope, I'm going to change your rank now... (guys read Foxygirl's rank.. haha)

Damn it... I thought there was a hot chick up in here... and in my home state, now I'm all bummed out... friggen false hope, I'm going to change your rank now... (guys read Foxygirl's rank.. haha)

:haha::haha: Thats just mean, YOUR AN ASS. Not really its funny as hell. :lol::lol:

HEY A NEW MXC IS ON, TONY HAWKS ON THERE. Not as good as the ol japanese stuff though. :(

:D Well' date=' at least I won't have to explain it to everyone I meet now hehe. Figures that I haven't even been here for a day and the site admin. has already got me on his blacklist. :o[/quote']

:cry: No I think CA3LE is dissapointed like I was because we are both in Arizona and thought maybe......well ya know.....lol

8) Microwave

if you are just looking to share files there is a nice little program I found somewhere that I have been using. Basically all it is is the "send file" feature in AIM, without a bandwidth cap (or ads for that matter.) It is called Look@file, you can find a download searching for that on google. It is kinda hard to get working at first, but once you do it once or twice you will know how it works. Comes with an informative, if example lacking help file. It lets you send files or folders. My friend shot me a little over a GB of data in a few hours using this program, not too bad for a peer-to-peer connection.

:lol: "Don't get your hopes up... it's a dude!" good info :wink:

abit off topic but i have to tell you guys what a friend of mine did

he meet a "girl" when he was at a disco abroads i think it was greece, anyway she was the bomb he said, they was making out and when things got really hot and they was starting to have sex he busted "her", it was a dude lol

VanBuren :)

So I was wondering if it'd be possible to link my computer with a friend's so we'd have access to eachother's files.

Thanks for the help' date=' but I forgot to mention I'm still running Windows 98.[/quote']

To complete this task, running Win98 isn't a problem at all if your buddy is running WinXP. It might work if you both are running Win98 also.

Check out this link: Remote Desktop Connection

Some people complain that the Windows version has a much higher latency effect.

That being said, here are a few more apps that allow remote access (not freeware, but great nevertheless):

Symantec Inc. PC Anywhere

Radmin (Remote Administrator 2.2)

RemotelyAnywhere

Not only will you have access to each other's files, you will control his/her's computer (vice versa) in real time.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

You could set up GuildFTPd on each computer, and share the folders that you want. Then when you want to get files from the other computer, you can just login via FTP if you have the person's IP addy...

Another option, you could set up a VPN. I think windows XP is able to run a VPN server, and I know that Windows 98 has a VPN client. This would make it seem as though you were on the same local network as the other machine.

First off, what are you trying to share? Depending on what it is (size-wise) will have an impact on the strategy that I suggest for you and your friend.

Next to everyone who got their hopes up...

Let me tell you a quick little story.

Over on Abit Forums, a girl showed up. She had a girl-like name and to cut to the chase, she was indeed a girl (unlike Foxy here who masquarades for whatever reason)---

It was interesting to watch because whenever she posted, all of the members were HOT TO TROT to help her. I mean, they were tripping over each other trying to help this girl. As if

-This was going to get them laid

-She was hot

Now..in all my years on the internet, I have RARELY encountered hot chicks. Back when I was like 14-15, I used to talk to girls on ICQ and crap all the time...only to be disappointed when they sent their picture. Then if you've talked to them for like a month, you kind of feel bad and tell them that they look good even when they don't...at least I did, because I'm not a heartless son of a bitch like some people would be.

Anyhow, after this happened many times, I always found that I regretted seeing what these broads looked like. It was nice to BS with them and picture them like they were Carmen Elektra or something.

Back to the Abit Story

All the guys on the forum were being super nice to this girl. Flirting with her and crap and they finally prompted her to post a picture. I knew that it was a bad idea, but apparently she didn't. This girl posted her picture and..I've got to say that she has to be in the top 1 percentile of ugly-bitches in the world. She shattered alot of dreams that day.

I sat back and laughed at all of the jackasses who were being overly nice to this girl--and watched how fast they turned on her once they learned she was a slob.

I'd be interested in seeing a study on this type of stuff. It's like as soon as a male see's what he percieves as a female online---but without any picture of her---he immediately has images of hot, nerdy chicks who are ready to get it on.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I think I found what I'm looking for with organ_shifter's post. Sounds almost exactly like what I was looking for. I'll check it out and get back to you on that.

That dropchute thig also seemed like it might help out also. Normally I'd just use the file-share option in AIM, but I'm looking to download Gigs of stuff from my friend and it took forever through the AIM feature so I'm hoping I'll get better with this. Anyways, like I said I'll check out the stuff and let you know if it works or not.

• 2 weeks later...