Files that just won't delete

mike_pasara

Lately i've been getting alot of files I cannot delete off my computer. It keeps displaying that it may be used by another program... tell me how in the hell an installer for a 3dmark05 can be in use after i've installed the program and rebooted my pc? It's doing this with a folder aswell i can copy the contents into another folder but the folder itself cannot be deleted. I've downloaded the file for 3dmark05 over firefox and the folder was from bittorrent. I'm currently not seeding the file so I do not know hoo it can be in use. I also have no processes running in the background that would cause this.... Help please

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am running XP Pro with service pack 2 installed. and that i've tried moving the files and folder into another folder then deleting that fodler.. still won't let me

Lately i've been getting alot of files I cannot delete off my computer. It keeps displaying that it may be used by another program... tell me how in the hell an installer for a 3dmark05 can be in use after i've installed the program and rebooted my pc? It's doing this with a folder aswell i can copy the contents into another folder but the folder itself cannot be deleted. I've downloaded the file for 3dmark05 over firefox and the folder was from bittorrent. I'm currently not seeding the file so I do not know hoo it can be in use. I also have no processes running in the background that would cause this.... Help please

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am running XP Pro with service pack 2 installed. and that i've tried moving the files and folder into another folder then deleting that fodler.. still won't let me

download killbox here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php then use it to get rid of the offending files.

You may have spyware, mallware, etc so download adaware from www.lavasoft.de and run a scan.  If you have anti-virus software, scan with that too.

i occasionally run into the same problem and i found a quick-solution to it, although it does not work 100% of the time.

if you have a file that wont delete, go to start>run>type in cmd.

in the window that comes up, type in del .  Dont forget the space after del.  Then just drag the file into the window and it should auto-enter the path of the file.  then click enter, and poof, the file should be gone

Gah safe mode don't work

Can't start to safe mode? try this:

-click start, click run

-type: msconfig

-hit enter

-click the BOOT.INI tab

-check the box for /SAFEBOOT

-click apply, click ok/close, click restart when it prompts you

this should automatically take you to safe mode.  to reverse the process, just remove the check mark from /SAFEBOOT and restart