Can't Connect To Internet With My Desktop, But Laptop Can Connect Wirelessly

al244

Yesterday, I had all of a sudden lost my Internet connection while browsing the web. I just thought, no big deal. It'll work later. Then today I come home from school, and check if my Internet is working yet. It turns out it's not. I realized my laptop can get a connection to my wireless router, so I'm thinking its my desktop that has some problem, not my connection itself. I also tried connecting my modem to my computer directly, and that didn't work. I also tried doing the same thing with my laptop, and it works fine. Does anybody know what's going on? I haven't made any changes or anything to my PC. :?

No I don't think I can. Actually, the only way I know of on how to access the config page is entering the IP adress in the adress bar of IE, which I don't think is possible.

Edit: If nothing will work I guess I can take my network card from my other computer, and try to put it in lol. But I do very stupid things when it comes to this stuff. I took a RAM stick out, and now I can't stick it back in. I tried putting my graphics card into my new computer, but after minutes of shoving it in there I realized the black slot wasn't an AGP slot. :lol:

I kind of forgot the default IP to see my router config, so can you please post it? Also Fallows, I tried your guide. It didn't work. :( My network card probably is "dead." But I think that it's integrated, since it's not in the PCI Bus. When I tried doing run>cmd>ipconfig, I just got all 0s...

You can try to reset your TCP/IP stack:

-click start, click run

-type cmd and click ok

-on the command line, type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

-hit enter and wait for the next command line

-type exit and hit enter

-reboot your PC and try to connect

Also, if your IP address is 169.254.x.x, try to renew it to see if it is a winsock corruption:

-click start, click run

-type cmd and click ok

-on the command line, type ipconfig

-if the IP address starts 169 then type: ipconfig/renew...what is the error it comes back with?

-if the IP address starts with something else, then you are connected to something or another

you need to check make/model of your router and either post it here and hope someone knows the ip or look it up on the mfrs website. oh, maybe also see if you have for some reason got the detect settings automatically disabled in ie/tools/internet options/connection/advanced. maybe kick it out of the device manager and reinstall  the driver, call tech support of your comp if it's still under warranty or have the local geek look at it, or take it to radio shack and pay 250 dollars for some pimply faced minimum wage payed kid to look at it for 3 days and tell you that your network has a problem.

Yeah automatically detect settings is disabled. Also, is the winsock thing really necessary? I don't get the socket error thing, and I don't like screwing with the registry. I usually end up messing up my computer. :D I think the NIC thing was the problem, but when I go to device manager, it says this device is working properly. My router is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, Model No. WRT54G.

Yeah automatically detect settings is disabled. Also, is the winsock thing really necessary? I don't get the socket error thing, and I don't like screwing with the registry. I usually end up messing up my computer. :D I think the NIC thing was the problem, but when I go to device manager, it says this device is working properly. My router is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, Model No. WRT54G.

If you have a direct connection, network card is installed properly, TCP/IP was reset using netshell command, no firewalls.....yup most likely a winsock corruption slash virus.  Did you powercycle the modem?

Umm I'm on a router, but it doesn't work when directly connected to my cable modem either. Yes, I did try powercycling. Ok, I'll try the winsock thing I guess.

Edit: Hey Fallow on this step:

9. Locate the Nettcpip.inf file in %winroot%inf, and then open the file in Notepad.

Where do I find that? Is that a folder somewhere, or do I find it on the registry editor? :-|

Ohhh. That was confusing. :whaa: Ok so... there should be a file called nettcpip in my Windows folder. Well there isn't, haha. :roll:

Edit: Wait there's supposed to be a folder called inf? Ugh... Also, how do I unhide the inf folder because it appears to be hidden. :lol:

OK, so here's what you do:

-Open my computer, go to the C: drive

-Open the Windows folder

-click Tools at the top, choose folder options, click on the view tab

-in the Advanced settings window, find Hidden files and folders and set it to Show hidden files and folders

-click apply, click ok

-find and open the inf folder

-find the file Nettcpip.inf, right-click it, go to open with and choose notepad

Aww, it didn't work. For some reason I really thought it would. I'm pretty sure I did everything right, but something is still wrong. It no longer says limited or no connection! It says it's connected now, but it's just still 0 packets sent and 0 packets recieved. :angry5: I guess I'll have to go buy that network card. They are cheap...right? About $20?