Tweaking Windows, need help

xyther4523

Hey all

I have Windows 2000 Professional SP4 and im just wondering what all tweaks etc to make my computer run better/smoother?

Im trying to free up space on my HDD to so information about clearing any caches and extra windows files would be great! Thanks for the help!

Check out CCleaner.. It deletes unnecessary programs' files, IE cache and can even help in cleaning out your registry.. This should be one thing that would help make Windows faster.. You can also check out this testmy.net topic.. I have never tried to perform what it says, but some ppl say it works.. CCleaner will help your pc run faster though.. If you would like to have more free RAM on your system (in case you do not have enough or something), check out Free Ram XP Pro.. I have it installed on one of my older machines and it works pretty good ;)

Check out TuneUp 2006, it's got everything on it, including everything raptor said, all in one package.

Use Diskeeper for defragging, it's the apsolute best.

Use Firefox or Opera as a web browser, and if you use Firefox make sure to find FireTune.

See if your computer is compatible with Intel Application Accelerator, usually it isn't but this will give you a major increase on an intel based computer with out overclocking, pretty much allowed me to sweep the floor with alot of AMD's stuff, even though I still plan to upgrade to AMD. :P

See if you can find a few registry tweaks, such as UnloadDLL etc.

You can find any of these by simly searching the key words, such as diskeeper, etc on google.

enjoy  :)

lol.. i would be happy if i had that kind of computer....

i got this:

P3 - 933mhz

512 ram

160gb HD

NVDIA GeFORCE2 MX/MX 400

Windows XP

17' monitor ^^

and im still happy with it, i play movies,songs, do C++ work,surf,play some online games.

but i think for me would be better to buy it after vista come i think, the 32bit era is going to die after that soo if i waited this long why not wait a lil more? =o

Check out TuneUp 2006, it's got everything on it, including everything raptor said, all in one package.

Use Diskeeper for defragging, it's the apsolute best.

Use Firefox or Opera as a web browser, and if you use Firefox make sure to find FireTune.

See if your computer is compatible with Intel Application Accelerator, usually it isn't but this will give you a major increase on an intel based computer with out overclocking, pretty much allowed me to sweep the floor with alot of AMD's stuff, even though I still plan to upgrade to AMD. :P

See if you can find a few registry tweaks, such as UnloadDLL etc.

You can find any of these by simly searching the key words, such as diskeeper, etc on google.

enjoy  :)

Very nice post.. Maybe we should make it a sticky or something, because if those programs work, then they are definitely worth checking out by most of the forum users, because we are here to make our pc's run better ;)

• 1 month later...