Tips?

mike1971

Then your not using all your bandwidth :)

VanBuren :)

yea.. thats it.. my download is a constant 426 on good servers, and about 385 on REALY large files. That is my max thats the best this 3mb/s connection will do, aka " maxed out "

to max out your connection you need several downloads, if your modem is capped to 3 Mbps it will raise your latency to your first hop when you have a constant 3 Mbps download.

how many downloads needed is hard to tell 2-3 is enough for most ppl if they dl from low latency servers

I will give you an example

Heres 4 downlaod streams, to 4 files located on my ISP's test site.

Ping to my isp still remains the same, sorry. :?

http://s1pwnsyou.camaroz.net/4_streams.jpg

total speed : 374 RMS

and thats the max. lol still the same. ... mabey cables a little diffrerent here then overseas O_o

edit

heres a full 4 stream max download traceroute to my isp for you

http://s1pwnsyou.camaroz.net/4_streams2.jpg

that was odd, no its no diffrent overseas :)

I dont know where your cap is then, cos somewhere on your route your ping will rise, there is no other way to cap your speed. Atleast what i know of

maby your capped on defult gateway and that can be at your ISP datacenter, that way you will have higher ping outside your ISP net.

Never heard of a solution like that, but this makes me wonder hehe

Try pinging testmy.net and see if its any diffrent.

that was odd, no its no diffrent overseas :)

I dont know where your cap is then, cos somewhere on your route your ping will rise, there is no other way to cap your speed. Atleast what i know of

maby your capped on defult gateway and that can be at your ISP datacenter, that way you will have higher ping outside your ISP net.

Never heard of a solution like that, but this makes me wonder hehe

Try pinging testmy.net and see if its any diffrent.

lol you got me scratching my head too... ill try all downlaods and ping testmy.net this time..

Before 4 streams

http://s1pwnsyou.camaroz.net/before.jpg

After 4 streams

http://s1pwnsyou.camaroz.net/after.jpg

^ lol..... seems to be the same deal :|

lol now if i do an upload that takes all of the blazing 42 kb/s that i can give, my pingtime to my ISP is like in the 780 ms range :P But with downloads, pings remain the same lol. Downstream rapage doesnt effect my internet browsing speeds, or pingtime... but upload rapage is a WHOLE 'nother story :lol:

Just an update VanBuren.

I had a tech out here today with laptop and test modem in hand. Even with his laptop on my modem, and his test modem we both could only reach alittle over 2.6 on this supposed 800/5400 connection (those are the actually capped limits) Signal levels are all very good, the best he has seen yet. The next course was to call tier2 :roll:

At any rate now I have a TROUBLE :( ticket out to Cox's NOC. Woohoo.. we'll see what happens from here. I will keep you posted, since you went through all this trouble to help me out. I am determined to reach at least 4 megs on this connection before I give up totally and go back down to our 24.95 plan.

The turnaround should be about 72 hours.

Wish me luck on this....

ya know swimmer and van the man you guy's send out a lot of good info yourselves and that is time consuming and takes effort and this kind of sharing is what is going to make our site a real winner in the long run. I have learned a lot of valuable info myself on this one topic, thanks Fred :D also as time passes you new members will also learn as we have and you will be able to share as we have and it makes you feel good to be able to help some one else