LAN connection speeds & Download Test results

kb79

My ISP is a wireless b provider using a Linksys BEFW11S4-v4 router with signal booster to connect to my home LAN. All pc's etc are connected behind the router: 1 pc connects directly into the router while the others are fed through a wired hub which connects various sites throughout the house.

For some strange reason I lost all connections (both wired and wireless) for a period of about 48 hours - EXCEPT for the pc that was connected directly into the back of the router. Only those connected through the hub or wirelessly failed to connect. I checked cables, connections reset the routers and rebooted the machines etc throughout the house. Linksys was unable to offer any corrective suggestions so in frustration I unplugged everything overnight and plugged it back in this morning. Surprisingly....everything works again BUT my DOWNLOAD or UPLOAD test results using testmy.net differ significantly now for the pc's connected either wirelessly or through the hub.

Connection speed resuts for those pc's behind the hub now range from about 0.4-0.7 Mbps while the pc with a direct connection to the router are running generally about 2.5-3.4 Mbps! Can anyone suggest what might be going on here?? Is there a chance that my router is faulty?? or is it likely something else??

Thanks.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Do you know how to access your routers web page?  Usually, 192.168.1.1 will open the page.  Once there check under the, Wireless tap, and look at the, Wireless Security section.  This will tell  you if your network is using any encryption?  But, this is something u usually setup yourself.  Did you set up your network?

Sincerely,

compuworm

• 2 weeks later...

My main pc (connected directly to the router) was averaging around 6Mbps (true speed recorded as 6393Kbps) and my other pc's (not including the wireless laptop) which were connected to through the hub, were getting much the same. Now we're getting around 495  Kbps - which is a far cry from the previous results!!!

My ISP has just replaced my router (so I'm now using a Linksys WRT54G) - all pc's on the network are connected fine but my connection speed has dropped significantly. My ISP indicated that the wireless network that he operates is nearly maxed out and that another line will be installed within the next few weeks. I'm still at a loss as to what caused the outage problems after the router and wonder if the network traffic issues will improve my ratings back to what I previously experienced.