Much they can do?

Gregorama

Well, I did have a chat with my ISP about my connection speed. I payed to upgrade my service from 3000/256 to 4000/512, and I'm still downloading around 2.8-3.0 mbitps, which is what I got before I upgraded. (My upload shot up to around 615 kbitps) I was told to call back the next day if my speed hasn't increased, so in a couple hours I think I'll give them a call. I'm not sure what they'll do for me. If they send someone out to work on my computer and optimize my speeds, I'm a bit worried about all the warez they'll find on my computer. Thoughts?

Well, what would they be able to do? Find the best RWIN values on their computer, then give the value to me?

(Also, when I host a game, such as halo, and there are more than five people in the server, everyone's ping shoots up past 600. My upload speed should be able to host about 10 or 12. What's the deal?)

(Also, when I host a game, such as halo, and there are more than five people in the server, everyone's ping shoots up past 600. My upload speed should be able to host about 10 or 12. What's the deal?)

i had the same prob with cstrike. If you can set your fps to a certain amount ( like in cstrike its fps_max <number> ) set it to about 50 or 60. Because when you host a game, the players needing to connect need the servers fps. when you connect to your own server , your using the servers fps for yourself. When you use too much of the servers fps, it lags and peoples pings shoot up.

has nothing to do with your connection

Well, what would they be able to do? Find the best RWIN values on their computer, then give the value to me?

They will find out if you got problems with modem, signal and so on, its not a matter of RWIN value if these things dosent work

I havent played Halo but i been a server admin for quake3, CoD, Unreal and i know that many times servers has wrong setups.

You need to set a max allowed client rate against your server, normal they use the value in Byte / second

so if you have a 500 Kbps upload and want to host 10 ppl

you have 500/10 = 50 Kbps/ player

Now you need to split it in 8 (1Byte=8bit)

50/8 = 6.25 KB/s = 6250 Byte/second to use in server setup

so here is some setup examples

quake 3

SV_maxrate 6250

Unreal 2004

MaxClientRate=6250

MaxInternetClientRate=6250

good luck

VanBuren :)

Well' date=' I did have a chat with my ISP about my connection speed. I payed to upgrade my service from 3000/256 to 4000/512, and I'm still downloading around 2.8-3.0 mbitps, which is what I got before I upgraded. (My upload shot up to around 615 kbitps) I was told to call back the next day if my speed hasn't increased, so in a couple hours I think I'll give them a call. I'm not sure what they'll do for me. If they send someone out to work on my computer and optimize my speeds, I'm a bit worried about all the warez they'll find on my computer. Thoughts?[/quote']

I doubt they will care about the Warez, I had my Cable ISP tech. out and he commented on the great programs I had and asked where I got them, same thing happened when I took it to best buy for an upgrade. :lol: No one cares about warez besides well maybe the RIAA, hell my borther in law is a cop and he has had me over numerous times to "install" his freshly downloaded app. :lol:

I'm on the phone right now with one of the tech support guys. He's giving me all these bullshit excuses. I upgraded my damn service to 4 mbps and I'm on the phone with him right now getting 2.3 Mbps. (I restored windows defualt settings) He's saying "Sir, 2.3 is not bad. That's really good."

I'm arguing with him right now on how I payed money to upgrade my service, and my downstream is the exact same speed. He's giving me those bullshit excuses like, "Well, it's UP TO 4mbps, not garunteed."

ALL ISP's SHOULD BE SHOT!

I just now told him that the last person I spoke with told me to call back if the speed hadn't improved, and I was getting about 2.6 at that time. Once I told him that, he said he'd ask someone, and now I'm on hold while he's asking.

I'm arguing with him right now on how I payed money to upgrade my service, and my downstream is the exact same speed. He's giving me those bullshit excuses like, "Well, it's UP TO 4mbps, not garunteed."

yep thats exactly what they told me lol. I had a bad router, that was basicaly taking packets and kickin g the shit out of them before it got to me and my speeds wouldnt exceed 1.5 mb/s on a 3 mb/s line. Tech support says " well its UP TO 3mb/s [...] ... " i was like ".......you bastard.."

Haha. He told me that there's not much we can do. I told him that I wasn't a happy customer, so now they're sending out a technitian in about a week. They won't be able to do anything...I guess I'm stuck at around 3.3 mbps :( I bet if I spend a whole day tweaking, I can get to around 3.8 mbps.

. They won't be able to do anything...I guess I'm stuck at around 3.3 Mbps :( I bet if I spend a whole day tweaking' date=' I can get to around 3.8 Mbps.[/quote']

He will come out with his pretty little laptop, while smirking at you for cmplaining about your service, say noithings wrong. Leave.

Things you can do.

Call them back, tell them your paying for the upgrade, and you had tech come out and and he said theirs nothing wrong. So tell them if your not getting an upgrade, your not paying for one and to just put you back to the basic plan. I mean theirs no reason to pay for it if your not going ot get it.

My ISP offers an upgrade of

3000/ 386 - $40.00

to

6000 / 512 - $75.00

i want it but meh... can afford it lol

I'm on the phone right now with one of the tech support guys. He's giving me all these bullshit excuses. I upgraded my damn service to 4 Mbps and I'm on the phone with him right now getting 2.3 Mbps. (I restored windows defualt settings) He's saying "Sir, 2.3 is not bad. That's really good."

I just now told him that the last person I spoke with told me to call back if the speed hadn't improved, and I was getting about 2.6 at that time. Once I told him that, he said he'd ask someone, and now I'm on hold while he's asking.

Thats how all isp's work lol. I have my own example with verizon.

When i go to my modem page (192.168.1.1) it says "DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) 1568 KBits/Sec by 448 KBits/Sec" and im supposed to be getting 1,500/384. Im getting 1300/372. On that page its supposed to be increased a little for it to actually go your advertised speed, for example when i have 768/128 it said something like 848/230 and i was getting the 768 speeds. SO i called them up the day i got the update and they told me that im getting the 1500 and thats final. I said that im not, so the guy told me that my area of the town might not be getting those speeds. He redirected me to another number where i told them that the down should be around 1700 for me to be getting their advertised speeds, and the lady said "Well im sure youre getting 1500 since thats what i have here, there is nothing i can do about it." so i hang up the phone. If i continued arguing they probabily would have asked if my modem is connected lol. I was very shocked by that so thats why i asked for VanBuren's help on trying to help me tweak it to 1500.