Disconnecting Problem

Skiptomylou26

Hi,

I'm having some major issues with my internet. I'm hooked up through Rogers cable and than I have a SMC router. This computers internet just seems to work fine but I just recently built a computer and for some reason the internet keeps disconnecting, on and off. I could be chatting on msn for 3-5 minutes and out of no where disconnected. I could be surfing the net, and suddenly a page won't load up. I directly linked my rogers cable to my computer, and I'm still getting the same effects. Basically a page doesn't get loaded every other website.So i have to constantly refresh until it is loaded. Anyone got any answers?

Skiptomylou26  Welcome to the fourm.

Check out your Connections options. At the top of your page go to tools click internet options then click on connections then click never dial a connetion so this always uses you LAN connection.

It seems that your dial up is timing out.

since u got cable, i would say its something on the line.. i got rogers and an smc router as well and I had a problem not with the router or with the modem, but with the splitter on my line, which was causing my internet to disconnect every 10 mins or so.. But in my case, I had to power-cycle the modem, leave it off for a couple of minutes and then turn it back on.. The repairman tested the line and found out it was the splitter and even replaced it :) It could also be something software as jkandra said :)

Jkandra it's already set like that. And I also restored my TCP/IP. I'm on it right now but than out of no where it'll just stop. I've tried uninstalling the driver and resinstalling it but still no dice. I ran cmd and than tried my ping out. sometimes it'll say sent 4 packets lost 4 packets 100% loss. SO i restored my TCP/IP but even after that sometimes it still doesn't work even. It lets me surf a little longer but still nothing.

it could also be a firewall that is blocking your dns servers.. with my first internet connection, i accidentally blocked my dns servers with zone alarm and after that I could surf for about 5 mins and my internet would just go out and I would not be able to view any webpages, but I could download files (strange  :mad2:).. Do you have any firewalls installed?

EDIT: Hope it works OK from now on (I just saw ur last post) :)

It could be what raptors892004 said

since u got cable, i would say its something on the line.. i got rogers and an smc router as well and I had a problem not with the router or with the modem, but with the splitter on my line, which was causing my internet to disconnect every 10 mins or so.. But in my case, I had to power-cycle the modem, leave it off for a couple of minutes and then turn it back on.. The repairman tested the line and found out it was the splitter and even replaced it :)

Try to hook your cable straight to your modem. Even if you have to put an (F) connector in it to jump the cable. This will tell you if it is the splitter.