Peeps in the know...good upgrade?

Indestructable

I'm lookin to upgrade my media center to make it a rocketsled..lol

Is this pretty damn good? I mean, like what kind of performance would I get out of it?

http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=21CE3749A5CA7304&WSMD=Media+Center+m1170n&WSPN=CT463833

any better deals would kick @$$ guys!

more ram can't hurt. do you have paired modules installed now? would slightly less name brand ram be cheaper? remember, for the dual channel to work the sticks need only be of same specs. not even neccessarily same mfr, but that helps to be sure to get same specs. that matching modules is pretty much all hype.

well, how do people get like 4 gb ram in their pc then? by using single sticks, right? I'm thinking like 2560 mb ram in the end, to do video editing, and what have you...my pc is stock @ the moment...It's got 2 256 sticks in it of  Kingsley ram...wtf?

Anyway, would this be a good buy? the ballistix memory lokos cool, and from the description, ti sis pretty much gamer memory, and I want gamer performance. I'm tired of crap computers. I want a tricked out machine, even if it is an HP...lol

How much performance would I lose by using single sticks of 1 GIG? I want the best, so any other suggestion from yous guys would be muchos apprecciated.

Sell your 2 sticks of 256 and use 2 1GB sticks of what you posted and run them dual channel. 2GB is easily enough for what you want it for. Check newegg and see if they have that same ram, they may have it a little cheaper.

well, how do people get like 4 gb ram in their pc then? by using single sticks, right? I'm thinking like 2560 mb ram in the end, to do video editing, and what have you...my pc is stock @ the moment...It's got 2 256 sticks in it of  Kingsley ram...wtf?

4x 1GB, although I've seen a test that showed that 4 GB gets you just 2.75 GB, and the rest goes to BIOS, plus you're forced to use 2T, which KILLS AMD performance.

How much performance would I lose by using single sticks of 1 GIG? I want the best, so any other suggestion from yous guys would be muchos apprecciated.

2x 512MB > 1 x 1 GB

so get 2 of the same gig sticks and add them to your exisitng mem. good thing the current meme is 2x256, that means it is already dual channel capable. the optimum would be to get the gig sticks with the same timing as the 256 sticks, otherwise you need to check if you can set the bios for different settings on different mem banks.

on the issue of gamer ram, um,  :bs:. it's all hype. compare the numbers, get what you want need, don't go for anything sold as 1337 gamer shit unless you want the flashy design. the only /possible/ advantage to 'gamer ram' (wtf is that anyway? ram that sucks at running word?) is that it might be more stable, /possibly/ when overclocking due to a large flashy heatsink or pseudo-heatsink. although some of the pseudo heatsink cases i've seen on ram sticks seem to act more like insulators than heatsinks.

so get 2 of the same gig sticks and add them to your exisitng mem. good thing the current meme is 2x256, that means it is already dual channel capable. the optimum would be to get the gig sticks with the same timing as the 256 sticks, otherwise you need to check if you can set the bios for different settings on different mem banks.

2x 1 Gig running the same settings as 2x 256? You're gonna need some very good sticks to pull that off.

on the issue of gamer ram, um,  :bs:. it's all hype. compare the numbers, get what you want need, don't go for anything sold as 1337 gamer shit unless you want the flashy design. the only /possible/ advantage to 'gamer ram' (wtf is that anyway? ram that sucks at running word?) is that it might be more stable, /possibly/ when overclocking due to a large flashy heatsink or pseudo-heatsink. although some of the pseudo heatsink cases i've seen on ram sticks seem to act more like insulators than heatsinks.

What gamers want is Winbond UTT (previously labeled BH-5 or CH-5) or Samsung TCCD (or TCC5) ramchips. Those can be found on various sticks, and you'll need to do a bit of searching to find out which.

2x 1 Gig running the same settings as 2x 256? You're gonna need some very good sticks to pull that off.

Not sure i understand what you mean, the size of the stick in (MB) has no bearing on timings or speed. Is that what you were talking about?

I'm slightly confused...so, what should I do? Is there something you guys would all agree on? lol...I'm just trying to get the BEST performance I can possibly squeeze out of my pc...how? It does support dual channel, it seems that crucial is saying that it will take pc 4000 though, and it's got pc 3200 in there now. Would that make it run better? What about something from TD? or Newegg, somethig by Ultra might do, if it still kicked 3 levels of a$$!!

Thanks lots for all the help you guys have given!  :cool:

Not sure i understand what you mean, the size of the stick in (MB) has no bearing on timings or speed. Is that what you were talking about?

Theoretically not, but 256 MB ram can run at 2-2-2-5 timings much easier than a stick of 1 gig can.

I disagree with resopalrabotnick with adding the 512 back. That will do nothing but remove performance.

Crucial is recommending PC4000 cuz they get more money from those. Unless you want to run faster than PC3200 (you'd have to OC for that), there's absolutely no reason to get any faster memory than PC3200 in your system. Intel systems may be the exception.

Usually (unless you have really cheap ram) you can OC the PC3200 without a problem to faster speeds.