Not the fastest, but I'm happy

SatNoob

Speeds aren't super fast or anything.. But I live a good 15 miles from the nearest city with any high speed internet options. I put up a tower so I could get wireless internet out here  :o Latency is awesome too so I can game now  :haha:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1253 Kbps about 1.3 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 153 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Tue Oct 25 13:28:06 EDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 22X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.69 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 155.71 % faster than the average for host (126.74)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-X0I913OS6

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 533 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 65 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Tue Oct 25 13:31:28 EDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 10X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 15.75 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 82.53 % faster than the average for host (126.74)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-E4BQIZAFX

i guess the resolution of the pic doesn't show em, or do you have that tower freestanding, i.e. w/o guywires? and you gotta love los directional radio. if you need more speed go for the laser, although the pointing becomes a bitch at longer ranges, especially on a high tower like that. (shakes too much)

Laser is really not recomended at all for residential use.

i would say the next thing forward would be microwave link, but i dont think that is needed.

would you be able to stay with the same antena and upgrade to the 3Mb/ 1MB ?

i wouldn't expect any signal loss from tower movement with the dish you have, since they don't have too tight a beam and are therefore quite forgiving. as for the laser, nothing like boosting output and dropping bisected birds into your yard from time to time...

LOL

of install a microwave link and then put ur self infront of it, or whatever you want to burn

still laser would be more cool i admit

some personnel from the former east german army and then the german army stationed on soviet radar equipment in use in east germany had some trouble with the maintenance protocols. it turned out that the emitter was what generated the radar beam, but the equipment at the electronics end of the rig had practically no shielding when the maintenance hatches were open...

i remember the job training at german telekom. while in the cell comm branch, whenever we were working on the actual cell phone antennae, we would take the fuses to the transmitters up with us... gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside instead of giving you that fuzzy, warm feeling all over, if you know what i mean...

I'm 11 miles from the AP.

I'm running at 95%-98% of the speeds they offer. If I wanted more power I'd run LMR-600 up the tower to the antenna from the radio and pick up about 5-6 db's that are lost every 100ft from the LMR-400 I currenty have. But that would be silly.. 600 is very expensive.

Realistically right now I only have $2,200 into the entire setup (Did my own tower erection/base/footing work) so making it more expensive isn't really in my best interest. And after cancelling Direcway at $60 per month I now pay pay $40 for my wireless and I cancelled my Verizon ground telephone line that ran me $55 a month and I now pay for VOIP through Broadvoice at $10 per month.

So after about 4 years or so if all holds up it will have paid for itself in my mind just from the savings of my previous internet/telephone connections. And I'll have a nice low latency true broadband connection instead of that laggy FAP infested pile of steamy poo Direcway offered  :confused1:

The tower is 73Ft high, the antennas top is 80Ft' and the mast above that is another 1-1/2' higher so the total all together is 81-1/2Ft tall. Tower originally sold for $3800 new. I got it for $700 used with ham radio antennas the huge 20 foot loong 8 element mosley ones. I sold the antennas off and ended up with a like new tower for $400. I used 5 yards (18,000+ lbs) of concrete 5x5x5 for the base and 32" anchor bolts to secure the tower to the base.

The cars are about 60Ft' from the tower. I'm a good 45ft above any tree in my area.