Microsoft is on the move again. This time with Live!

organ_shifter

Am I the only one left who doesnt like firefox?

I like the live idea.  I think they are doing it compete with Citrix Metaframe, which I find dreadfully complex at times.

I dont like the idea of replacing localized applications either. 

BTW Opera is great.

The live idea was run on mainframes 40 years ago - nothing new

Now it's back new and improved.

I truly hope you don't think that MS will be using the same exact methods as were used 40 years ago.  :haha:

It's going to be a winning idea and businesses all over the globe will be giving this a try, as well as home users.  :evil6:

Now it's back new and improved.

I truly hope you don't think that MS will be using the same exact methods as were used 40 years ago.  :haha:

It's going to be a winning idea and businesses all over the globe will be giving this a try, as well as home users.  :evil6:

Of course its light years ahead of 40 years ago - but the concept is not - people entering the field think these are all great new ideas, but they have been around forever. Centeralized processing or distributed processing - they keep shifting back and forth not because one is better then the other but to make money selling the same concept over and over.

it may not even be centralized processing, but i don't want to have to dl my app off the web every time i use it. and i don't want to have to send my data to a website to work with it. then there is the problem of saving files, i would have to allow the site, whomever it is that is offering app x anyways, to access my local drive. or store the info online, making retrieval difficult in case of a net outage. call me old fashioned, but data that doesn't belong on the web shouldn't be put there. and imagine the senseless rise in traffic on the web with people sending back and forth graphics-heavy app windows and such. it's been tried a decade or so back too, the slim net computers sans hard drive that were supposed to run off the company server, allowing the company to save some money. sounds like a mainframe and terminal to me as well. why would i want to shell out a few grand for a nice pc and then be hampered by the speed of my connection to the web every time i want to run a certain app. bleah!

Of course its light years ahead of 40 years ago - but the concept is not - people entering the field think these are all great new ideas, but they have been around forever. Centralized processing or distributed processing - they keep shifting back and forth not because one is better then the other but to make money selling the same concept over and over.

No arguments there at all. :)

It's without a doubt that we (the consumers) keep getting the same recycled concepts time and time again.

Although, there are lots of programs out now which contain all the potential in the world to bring on new, innovative ideas. Sadly, no one seems to be ready to step up.

the web based app is in some ways beneficial, as long as it is for stuff like a better webmailer, better online photo processing and the like. i just don't see it doing much good for something like a 'real' app like word or excel.

Say, for instance, you don't have Word, Excel, or PowerPoint installed on you system, but, utilizing the web based set of tools gives you the ability create presentations and save them in those formats without actually having to install these programs.

I don't really like the idea of web based apps, besides a few things like webmail, etc. I still prefer to have a copy of the program physically on my computer. I don't really see any advantage in using Word over the net better than using it locally, other than possibly being compatible with more computers and OS's.

If they would invent a browser that only sends changed data - ie like if I have this page open in a window or tab why should I have to receive the whole page. Only the changed or new data should be transmitted (in this case the last post) I used some mainframe software that did this 25 years ago and it was so fast everyone thought it was not working until they looked close at the screen. I realize what is involed to do this but with cheap hardware it should be fairly easy. Also the amount of data transmitted would be reduced big time.

This application sharing technique is already being used by Citrix Metaframe.  A company can set up applications on a server to share out to XP/2000 workstations using a Citrix client.  They can do it over the network, or through SSL web connections.  Sounds like the same concept to me.

Say, for instance, you don't have Word, Excel, or PowerPoint installed on you system, but, utilizing the web based set of tools gives you the ability create presentations and save them in those formats without actually having to install these programs.

so as opposed to buying the progs and being able to work with them whenever i want i have to pay a monthly/daily/annual fee to ms to use them and can only use them when i log on to the site and dl the components that i want to use that day? if you're only gonna take one trip, ok, i can see the point, take a taxi. but if you plan on commuting, get a car.

If they would invent a browser that only sends changed data - ie like if I have this page open in a window or tab why should I have to receive the whole page. Only the changed or new data should be transmitted (in this case the last post) I used some mainframe software that did this 25 years ago and it was so fast everyone thought it was not working until they looked close at the screen. I realize what is involed to do this but with cheap hardware it should be fairly easy. Also the amount of data transmitted would be reduced big time.

Some sites are already starting to do just that with a technology called Ajax (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML), which only refreshes part of the page just like you decribed. I haven't seen it much, but I do know that Yahoo! mail has a new beta version (invite only :( ) that will use Ajax. It seems very interesting to me.