older pc to router help me out once again.

x_6985381

hey i have a few questions about connect this computer i just fixed to my router on my roadrunner connection.

alright i have a linksys wireless b 4 way switch / router and a older intel celeron processor windows 98, computer with a network card 10/100 mbp/s and a dial up in and out connection on the old pc. is there a way to connect it to my router, i have the computer to the left of me so i'll be happy to just do w/e to make it connect please help. anything needed ask me and i'll supply it.

materials needed:

1 (one) network cable.

possibly a large rubber mallet or a q-tip.

take the network cable, insert it into the comp's nic, using possibly the q-tip to first remove any dust/debris/dead critters from the socket and then possibly the mallet if there is too much corrosion.

then plug the cable into one of the lan ports on the up and running router.

go to ie, tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, detect settings automatically, presto.

of course, this is valid only so long as the nic in the comp, don't know how old whatever it is there really is has an rj45 connector. but being a 10/100 it should...

i hope you didn't just delete that vintage smut?

well, that makes it post-bjc era i would figure, so you should be good. just jack that sucker in and fire it up. remember that win98 needs at least a boosted rwin to deal with hi-speed internet properly. of course, you could leave it untweaked, that way it shouldn't go omuch above 1 meg down in any case, leaving it throttled to save the juicy connection for yourself.... :twisted:

edit:

the network card drivers are installed, tcp is set up with acquire ip address from server?

what model is the linksys, maybe i can take a peek at the manual online or someone else can clue you in as to what should be set there, if you need to tell it expressly what pc's use what ip or whatever. try giving the old pc the same ip as the one you're on, of course disconnect the one you're on, and see what happens if you feel like poking around.