Computer rebooting randomly.. please help

krc1979

I'm new to this whole forum thing so I'm not sure how it all works. I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Lately my computer has been randomly rebooting itself. I have no idea why. Also, when i open up "My Computer" and try to view files or play music or movies it freezes, sometimes just for a second or two and sometimes i have to reboot manually. I regularly use Ad-Aware and Spybot and recently defragged my HD which i'll be doing more of now. Here are my system specs.. let me know if you need any other info.

Hp Pavilion a320n

AMD 2800+ processor

512mb DDR Ram

120GB HD with 26% free

Onboard audio, video, and LAN

Windows XP Home with a full install of SP2 from the Microsoft site.

Thanks  :?

It usually reboots by itself when a blue screen pops up, but on default, XP hides the blue screen and reboots the pc automatically.. Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery section Settings -> Uncheck Automatically Restart in System Failure section.. Next time something goes wrong, XP will show the blue screen and then u can restart your pc manually.. If a blue screen pops up, note what its saying and if its possible, post it here so we can analyze it :D.. As for the loading pc when opening files or music, it could be just the indexing service that basically indexes the files so when u use the search function, it completes faster.. If you defrag your hdd, it will probably be faster.. It could be also like that because of an old XP installation (if you haven't done a fresh install lately).. I had an XP installation once that restarted explorer.exe all by itself.. Try the thing with the blue screen and defragging your harddrive and post back here ;)

Computer self rebooting is usually a overheated cpu/mobo/case or defective memory and in some cases it coud even de power supply, firt check your processor fan, if it looks ok and you have 2 memory modules, try removing one and testing one and vice-versa, if youre pc has only one memory module try borrowing one from a friend, also keep your pc case, dust-free with compressed air can.