Chicagoland Area Pitbulls Attack

pitbull481

This is Chicagoland Area

When I read sat. news, one pitbull started to attack. Than the other two pitbulls joined in and all 3 started attacking the rest of the people.

How a neighbor  became a hero

By Bob Susnjara

Daily Herald Staff Writer

Posted Monday, November 07, 2005

You might not know it by looking at him, but Gerd Gerdes was in the right place at the right time on Saturday.

The 42-year-old man was one of the first on the scene of a vicious dog attack that left six people injured, including two neighborhood children who remained hospitalized Sunday night.

Gerdes was one of the six, suffering bites to his hand and legs. Family members say if he hadn

lol? wtf?

i think it's wrong that people are allowed to keep a dog the way they did. i'm not saying a pitbull is more dangerous than a chihuahua (although it does bite a bit harder) it's just that the pit is a lot easier to mistrain and tends to end up an aggressive animal a lot easier than other breeds.

my grandmother had two german shepherds. tyhe older one was male, the younger and thank god larger one was female. the male was getting old and somewhat screwy in the head, she was contemplating putting him down when the dog jumpoed her, knocking her down. the only thing that saved her life was the female going between her and the male and holding him at bay until she copuld grab a shovel to 'subdue' him.

:icon_scratch:

wouldn't that be worse? of course, human bites aren't as immediately dangerous as dogs, but the human mouth is dirtier than a dogs and the bites tend to get infected more easily with all kinds of nasty bugs. we're like second only to the komodo dragon in that department, and that sucker uses lethal oral flora to kill his prey.

Today's News about Banning Pits

Attack fuels pit bull ban debate

By Charles Keeshan and Emily Krone

Daily Herald Staff Writers

Posted Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The weekend attacks by a trio of pit bulls in Cary that left two children hospitalized with numerous bites is re-igniting the debate over whether this type of dog is too dangerous to be a household pet.

McHenry County leaders are addressing that question as investigators continued to look for explanations for why three dogs that most saw as friendly four days earlier went on a rampage.

The three dogs broke loose from a home in the 6700 block of Hawthorne Drive Saturday afternoon and attacked two 10-year-old children who had knocked on the door.

Nicholas Foley took the brunt of the attack, suffering severe bite injuries to his arms, shoulders, back and buttocks. He remained in critical but stable condition Monday at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge.

A note on his family

Sorry to say Pit my old friend, I think they should be banned. I had a Rot once and loved that dog so much (had to put it down due to health) but even he was agressive and he was raised like a baby. I cant believe people laughed at this news. Thats aweful. Not to mention kids were being attacked. :cry::angry5:

Sorry to say Pit my old friend, I think they should be banned. I had a Rot once and loved that dog so much (had to put it down due to health) but even he was agressive and he was raised like a baby. I cant believe people laughed at this news. Thats aweful. Not to mention kids were being attacked. :cry::angry5:

I'm with you, Shug.  On all counts.  Why do people think insurance companies cancel homeowners policies or increase rates for owners of certain breeds of dog.  This is a prime example of why.

look at these precious pups. they arent killers. its the owners fault. i have 2 pits. the older one (3yrs) my brother-in-law took care of him when he was a pup. but he was treating him to be a very aggresive dog. the other pit (9 months old female), me and my wife have raise her since she was 3 weeks old. we got her very spoiled. she knows her gooed and bad. with children and adults she is friendly to them. wont do any harm

btw my male pit has killed 3 dogs (1 rot and 2 pits), and almost attacked my neighbor (jumped on him and was very close to tearing his neck (bite). and it WAS my neighbor fault (25-32 yr old guy) always picking and throwing shit to my dog )

look at these precious pups. they arent killers. its the owners fault. i have 2 pits. the older one (3yrs) my brother-in-law took care of him when he was a pup. but he was treating him to be a very aggresive dog. the other pit (9 months old female), me and my wife have raise her since she was 3 weeks old. we got her very spoiled. she knows her gooed and bad. with children and adults she is friendly to them. wont do any harm

btw my male pit has killed 3 dogs (1 rot and 2 pits), and almost attacked my neighbor (jumped on him and was very close to tearing his neck (bite). and it WAS my neighbor fault (25-32 yr old guy) always picking and throwing shit to my dog )

I think the risks do not outweigh the benefits.  You said your pups aren't killers, but then go on to say your male has killed 3 dogs and tried to take your neighbor out.  First you say its the owners fault, then you say that its the neighbors fault.  Why can't it be that pits are just an aggressive specie as a whole that can't be truly domesticated and as such should not be permitted as pets.  I've never heard of a golden retriever attacking and attempting to kill someone for throwing shit at it. 

On the other hand, there are many animals you can possess, but you must have a permit to do so.  Why not implement some type of control mechanism like that for those dog breeds that are naturally aggressive and/or unpredictable?  This type of control might lower the number of attacks and put the owners under more scrutiny for training and controlling their dogs. 

I think the risks do not outweigh the benefits.  You said your pups aren't killers, but then go on to say your male has killed 3 dogs and tried to take your neighbor out.  First you say its the owners fault, then you say that its the neighbors fault.  Why can't it be that pits are just an aggressive specie as a whole that can't be truly domesticated and as such should not be permitted as pets.  I've never heard of a golden retriever attacking and attempting to kill someone for throwing sh*t at it. 

it is my brother-in-law fault for training my older pit very aggresive like i have said:

its the owners fault. i have 2 pits. the older one (3yrs) my brother-in-law took care of him when he was a pup. but he was treating him to be a very aggresive dog. the other pit (9 months old female), me and my wife have raise her since she was 3 weeks old.

and it is my neighbor fault for picking and throwing sh*t to my aggresive dog. if a dog is trained to be aggresive, do you think he is going to let people pick on him/throw sh*t (boots, or something heavy that WILL harm a dog), i dont think so

common sense

you pick on a dog that HAS been trained to attack. you'll be sorry DUHH.

the youngest pit i have (female) is not trained to attack. if she sees other dogs, she wont go all crazy like people say. IT IS THE WAY YOU TRAIN AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR DOG. even a chichuachua can attack if you train.

and i know cause i have had pits(6 total) since i was 8yrs old til now (24yrs old) NONE of the PITS i onwed since a pup have been aggresive. only one i owned that has been very aggresive is the one my brother-in-law train since a pup 

Then, based on what you say, controlling the people who can own pitbulls, through a permit program, might reduce the number of attacks since the owners would be monitored more closely: maybe even be certified to train the dogs effectively prior to allowing ownership? 

BTW:  Did the neighbor also throw shit at your female?  If so, how did she respond? 

Chicagoland is getting crazy with pits attack. :angry5: :angry5:  This attack happen on tuesday

Teens charged in dog attack

By Charles Sheehan

Tribune staff reporter

Published November 10, 2005, 12:16 PM CST

Two teenagers have been charged in connection with an incident in which police responding to reports of a fight had to shoot and kill three dogs that charged them, authorities said today.

It was at least the fourth time in the past month that Chicago-area police have had to shoot dogs that had attacked people or their pets.

The latest incident happened about 3 p.m. Wednesday in the 2200 block of South Christiana Avenue on Chicago's Southwest Side.

Javier Mora, 17, was fighting with an unidentified 15-year-old boy when Luis Flores, 18, opened the gate to the yard of his home and ordered the dogs to attack, police said. As police responded to the fight, four dogs charged from a backyard.

While it was initially reported all four animals were pit bulls, subsequent reports indicated they were a pit bull, a Rottweiler and two other canines whose breeds were not certain. The pit bull, Rottweiler and a third dog were shot dead, and a fourth animal was wounded.

Flores, the dogs' owner, was charged with misdemeanor aggravated assault, according to police spokeswoman JoAnn Taylor. Mora was charged with simple battery, also a misdemeanor, she said.

The youths are to appear in Cook County court on the charges Jan. 20.

On Tuesday morning, Doris Sparks, 52, was walking home from her job as a school bus driver when a pit bull attacked her on the 4400 block of Cleveland Street in Gary, WGN-Ch. 9 reported.

Gary Police Det. Nelson Otano was driving past on his way to work when he saw the attack, WGN reported. He ran to help Sparks get into the car of a woman who had stopped to help, and then shot the dog when the animal kept charging him.

Sparks was taken to a local hospital, where she was treated for deep puncture wounds to her leg and thigh and was released.

In other attacks:

# Last Saturday, three pit bulls attacked six people, including two children, in unincorporated McHenry County near Cary. A 10-year-old boy was hospitalized in critical condition after the incident. Police shot and killed all three animals.

# On Oct. 14, an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and wounded a pit bull that had attacked her own dog, a miniature schnauzer, on a South Side street.

# Two days earlier, an 8-year-old Robbins girl was mauled by two pit bulls and required 24 stitches to close wounds to her right arm and leg. Authorities seized the dogs and were observing them for rabies.

Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-051110pitbullcharges,1,634893.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Top Ten Dogs Most Likely to Bite

The Centers for Disease Control studies dog bite incidents, including the types of dogs most likely to bite. The breeds that the CDC considers highest risk include:

- Pit Bulls

- Rottweilers

- German Shepherds

- Huskies

- Alaskan Malamutes

- Doberman pinschers

- Chows

- Great Danes

- Saint Bernards

- Akitas

This is Chicagoland Area

When I read sat. news, one pitbull started to attack. Than the other two pitbulls joined in and all 3 started attacking the rest of the people.

How a neighbor  became a hero

By Bob Susnjara

Daily Herald Staff Writer

Posted Monday, November 07, 2005

You might not know it by looking at him, but Gerd Gerdes was in the right place at the right time on Saturday.

The 42-year-old man was one of the first on the scene of a vicious dog attack that left six people injured, including two neighborhood children who remained hospitalized Sunday night.

Gerdes was one of the six, suffering bites to his hand and legs. Family members say if he hadn

• 2 months later...

I think it's amazing that you never hear about any other dog attacks, like German Shepards, Labs, Akitas etc...  Just pitbulls, anyone noticed that?  Alot of ppl are unaware that pitbulls make up only 2% of dog bites!  German Shepards make up the most.  You also never hear about pitbulls that save lives!  The Readers Digest had an article awhile back about a dog that saved his owner from 2 armed robbers...But they REFUSED to put down that it was a pitbull.  Yes I'm an owner of 2 pits myself, and the only way they would ever attack anyone is if they attacked by licking!  That's what they do, they love to lick ppl.  That's because I raised them right.  The majority of the attacks come from the "ghetto" where black ppl train them for fighting and guarding crack houses.  Lets punish those ppl, not the dog!  In WW1 the very first war dog was a pitbull...back then Pitbulls was the most favorite family dog to own!  That's because they didn't have the drug dealers, the ghetto, gangbangers that we have today....why not ban those ppl?  That's crap when ppl say "pits are born vicious"  and everyone of them who say that has NEVER owned a pit in their life....they get their info from the media which is always negative towards pits!

stub.jpg

you're actually seriously asking that question? it is because the media love a bloody story. "these pitbulls here are really nice" wouldn't sell. and german shepherds won't get dissed too badly in the media because they have too good a reputation as k-9 cops, rescue dogs, seeing eye dogs etc. etc. etc.

the pitbull however got a tarnished rep so it's easy to carry on bashing them.

you're actually seriously asking that question? it is because the media love a bloody story. "these pitbulls here are really nice" wouldn't sell. and german shepherds won't get dissed too badly in the media because they have too good a reputation as k-9 cops, rescue dogs, seeing eye dogs etc. etc. etc.

the pitbull however got a tarnished rep so it's easy to carry on bashing them.

They have alot of pits working as k-9 cops and rescue dogs also, and they also serve as therapy/service dogs!  In 1993 a Pit Bull saved 30 people, 29 dogs, 13 horses and a cat during a flood in Southern California!  Here's a little known fact, The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and Pit Bulls placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate!  Here's a really good site that has some of the pitbull hero dogs.  http://www.defend-a-bull.com/positivelypit.html

one of my pit (female) laying back on the couch, and my friend's pit (male) smiling for the camera  :D

its just the way the owners treats there pits (and other dogs) . my female pit IS a family dog. i got nieces and nephews (11 kids) ages 1 thru 10 that play with my dog. and she doesnt growl or bite them just lick them.