Forgot Windows XP Pro Username and Password-a solution

compuworm

My friend screwed up his Username and Password by deleting the Administrative Profile or someting like that (he not that sure).  But, we tried everything in order to get back into his system and failed again and again,  I did a web search and found this link:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

I could not believe it but it worked he is back in and hasn't lost anything.  I just though I would pass this along.  I hope it helps as it has helped us.

Sincerely,

compuworm

Yes, there is an Administrator logon if you set it up  but if you set up your Administrator password and forget it in Pro and/or home edition as we have found, your screwed (forgive the crude language). We did attempt to enter safe mode, we entered Bios set-up but nothing until we found the web article.  I am absolutely amazed by the article.

I mean all I need is a XP cd and have my cd key and I can bypass Windows XP Pro (for sure) and Windows XP Home edition's Administrator Password.  I will then have FULL access to your files. This is some Windows security flaw.

According to the article (it seems) all I need is the XP cd with a key.  But, having said that, I did use my friends original installation XP Pro cd and his key to regain access.  Computers get stolen every day form homes, businesses anywhere. 

The point I was making is if you have sensitive information on your machine and believe it safe simply because you have it password and username protected,  well its NOT.  REH, is right, most attacks do happen through the net but if you are amount a growing number of ppl like me who carry around a laptop (I have two) well your changes of having personal information pilfered if your laptop is stolen just got better.  Not all computers sit in a home and office and yes even those that do can get stolen.  I do apologize if I have come across too strongly I am only trying to help.

Sincerely,

compuworm

P.S.

REH, with regards, I agree with your perspective all I was saying is here we have YET another windows security hole and why can't Microsoft  make a better product.  I mean come on,  they have the money, time, resources, and the right people.  Yesterday, I downloaded my 29th security patch for windows.