Firefox *rolls eyes*

Mr. Hahn

All of you diehard Firefox fans on this forum are really cutting yourselves short. Yes, Maxthon is based on IE, but only the web standards. It's only similar to IE in that it uses the same rules when reading web languages. It is based on IE, but it is in essence a completely different browser. As a result, those security issues are void.

As for the feature set, Maxthon includes:

-Tabbed Browsing

-Mouse Gestures

-Drag & Drop (for links and images)

-Pop-up Blocker (isn't the best, but whatever. neither is Firefox's)

-Google Toolbar

-and more...

Basically, I'm showing you that Maxthon has all the features Firefox has and much more.

There are also many skins out for it. So you can have a different browser look for every day of the week if you want.

Here is a shot of Maxthon showing you how every bit of space in the toolbar can be utilized and rearranged:

browser.jpg

(my favorites except for TestMy and my IP at the bottom have been colored over)

This next issue is both a good and bad thing.

Firefox uses the W3C web standards when reading documents for websites. Most webmasters don't fully code to those standards yet, so pages often have places in them where they are not shown as the author intended.

Examples:

firefox.jpg

(the bullets are displayed correctly MOST of the time, but still...)

Look below at the differences in spacing.

Maxthon:

maxthon.jpg

Firefox:

firefox2.jpg

Firefox also doesn't display custom scroll bars.

Those are very small issues, but they are issues nonetheless. There are worse examples out there, but none come to mind right now.

Until everyone begins coding to those standards, I'll stick with Maxthon.

With the better web standards, massive feature set, and lack of security issues, Maxthon is the winner in my book. 8)

-Maxthon

Same here I use Avant Browser, which is based partially on IE but is much more advanced, and enhanced, and has more features than firefox already built in. Also like Maxthon it has customizable skins, so in my "opinion" I like Avant way more than I would ever like Firefox.

By the way Firefox works much more better with Linux than XP.

I thought I was the only one that noticed those differences with my site going from IE to Mozilla --- hehe

Yea the thing with IE is that it makes ussumptions as to what the page should look like, and basically re-does the pages to look cleaner. And fixes code mistakes on some occasions (this in my opinion will only lead to lazy ass coders in the future)

My cut and paste script does not work with Mozilla and some of my forum features are a little off (but still work) with Mozilla.

But in my opinion a browser based off the IE engine is still bad news because you are still going to have security holes and vunerabilities that IE contains... Why they hell won't microsoft just fix their shit?!?!

(this in my opinion will only lead to lazy ass coders in the future)

This would only be the case if all webmasters knew the ins and outs of how IE worked internally. Most don't. The majority of webmasters will never be top-notch coders who know how to make every aspect of their site conform to the W3C standards. If this is the case, the majority of sites won't display as the author intended in Firefox. Why use it if all you get are altered versions of the true thing?

But in my opinion a browser based off the IE engine is still bad news because you are still going to have security holes and vunerabilities that IE contains... Why they hell won't microsoft just fix their shit?!?!

You keep mentioning IE having all these security holes. The #1 reason SP2 took such a damn long time to come out was for that very reason. As far as I know, they addressed every known security flaw. Even if they didn't, a good firewall and anti-virus should suffice quite well. If you're referring to spyware, people are going to get spyware regardless of their browser. It's just a fact. No browser is anywhere close to stopping 100% of spyware from getting on their computer. Whether it be more or less than other browsers is pointless. Those however many that ARE on there are still sending usage statistics to wherever they go.

You keep mentioning IE having all these security holes. The #1 reason SP2 took such a damn long time to come out was for that very reason. As far as I know, they addressed every known security flaw. Even if they didn't, a good firewall and anti-virus should suffice quite well.

Well the thing is, most flaws are unknown, so they cant quite fix what might be a devistating flaw in their program if they dont KNOW about it right? SP2 may have fixed most/all of the problems at the time it was released, but who knows now?

You keep mentioning IE having all these security holes. The #1 reason SP2 took such a damn long time to come out was for that very reason. As far as I know, they addressed every known security flaw. Even if they didn't, a good firewall and anti-virus should suffice quite well. If you're referring to spyware, people are going to get spyware regardless of their browser. It's just a fact. No browser is anywhere close to stopping 100% of spyware from getting on their computer. Whether it be more or less than other browsers is pointless. Those however many that ARE on there are still sending usage statistics to wherever they go.

My point is that we should not have to run a buttload of virus scanners, pop-up blockers, anti-spyware software ~ can ANYone remember the good 'ol days when you really didn't have to worry?!?!? God damn, it seems like the faster computers get, the more of our new resources have to be used to prevent bullshit... when all you have to do to fix it is get a browser that does not let that shit in (and also be aware of what you are downloading ;-))

And though SP2 DID fix SOME of the holes... a bunch are still open, after SP2 I would still scan for spyware and still find a buttload of spyware.

Firefox is running better that IE ever could have on my machine and on my linux box, I have since told my friends to give it a try... two weeks later all of my friends gave me a high five and paid for drinks because they were so happy.

Please keep in mind ::: All of this is coming from an old IE fan, if you would like I can show you many old posts here where I praised IE., at this point iI personally like mozilla :twisted:

My point is that we should not have to run a buttload of virus scanners' date=' pop-up blockers, anti-spyware software ~[/quote']

So you're saying that viruses, pop-ups, and spyware can't affect your computer while you're using Firefox? Wow.How exactly does Firefox go about doing all this? As for viruses and spyware, their downloaded into temporary internet files and cookies when surfing. I just don't see how it would prevent such things without having some sort of active scanners built in looking over everything that's being downloaded and catching them. As for pop-ups, both browsers have pop-up blockers, so there's no use in mentioning that.

So you're saying that viruses' date=' pop-ups, and spyware can't affect your computer while you're using Firefox? Wow.How exactly does Firefox go about doing all this? As for viruses and spyware, their downloaded into temporary internet files and cookies when surfing. I just don't see how it would prevent such things without having some sort of active scanners built in looking over everything that's being downloaded and catching them. As for pop-ups, both browsers have pop-up blockers, so there's no use in mentioning that.[/quote']

Perhaps that Firefox doesn't blatantly download files from the net.

Is Maxthon a variant on the source code of IE (like that one will ever be released, but I hope you get the point) or built from scratch, but following IE's rules on displaying pages? There's a crucial difference between the two...