Verizon DSL SPeed Help (I'm new here as of today)...

Sharky2006

I need help with my speed.  These are my stats but I know that this can be better. 

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1505 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 184 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Thu Nov 17 2005 21:56:50 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 27X faster than 56K 1MB download in 5.57 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 35.09 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-764N2DOJ0

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 364 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 44 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Thu Nov 17 2005 22:01:32 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 6X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 23.27 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 62.01 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-OY85JWKR4

Please help

You can feel free to play around with a couple of different files that are close to your connection speeds.  After you apply one, save to registry, and reboot, try another download test.  Start a notepad file with your results and try another cablenut file until you find the one that works best for you.

just go into cable/dsl folder, then to xp/2000 cable_dsl, MSS1460, and then choose the closest file that matches ur dsl line's speeds (DSL 6000/768).. To load it, open Cablenut, click File -> Load Custom.. and select the file (6000/768 DSL), click save settings to registry and reboot as other members said.. You can experiment with other settings to see which ones give u the best performace.. Cablenut does not help my internet connection, but it does wonders for many ppl :)

• 2 weeks later...

sharky ur a retard they dont give u 3/768 u have to ask for it u have to be ABLE to get it i know u think u have it i did 2 but im not able to get 3/768 u might not be either call them say tech support then say other then ask them for upgrade to 3 mbps then they will transfer u to billing ~MUST CALL DURING WEEKDAYS BEFORE 6 PM~

sharky ur a retard

consider yourself warned, personal attacks is a reason for ban

also CABLE NUT IS A PEICE OF GARBAGE mark my words..... www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks is a very good tweaker i used that and it upped my speed 20 Kbps

20 Kbps is nothing unless your on 56k or less, now tell us why cablenut is garbage?

VanBuren :)

ok buddy but i had messed up internet for a LOONG time until verizon found out they were messing my internet up i had 70Kbps and increased it to 90 now i have 180Kbps :)

programs dosent mess up internet, the ppl that using em wrong does..  :-P

cablenut is not garbage just beqause you didnt know how to use it

I agree that its harder to use then most other tweakprograms, but its also the most advanced and offer options to tweak upload aswell  ;)

VanBuren :)

• 1 month later...

FYI.

I have improved my scores considerably.

Check out these scores (...with verizon DSL 1.5/384).....

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 13171 Kbps about 13.2 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1608 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sat Jan 14 2006 23:42:06 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 235X faster than 56K 1MB download in 0.64 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 179.16 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-EPT4XG9OZ

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 394 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 48 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Sat Jan 14 2006 23:52:19 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 21.33 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 62.24 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TF92NZMBD

I am at 13.2 Mbps/0.4Mbps now because of a freeware program I used.  Reputable at that....

Yes thats how it works

NOTE: If you have download accelerators such as the Google Web Accelerator please turn them OFF before testing. -  For the Google Web Accelerator click on the speedometer icon in your browser or taskbar and click "Stop Google Web Accelerator" - clicking "Don't accelerate this website" may still 'cause results to be incorrect.  Also note that results from tests taken with accelerators DO NOT represent faster than normal speeds but are simply 100% false cached results. Accelerators DO NOT speed up download speed, only browsing speed!  In my opinion these programs do more harm than good and I personally would not allow it on my own system.  -Damon

Not necessarily harm, other than using resources....but it's giving you results that are inaccurate and misleading.  I used to have my browser all done up with extensions/toolbars, but I found that things ran better just barebones.  You just gotta be sure to do regular maintenance on your browser (cache/cookes) and scan for spyware thoroughly.

...may sound like a stupid question, but how does it do more harm than good?  Is it harming my system in any way? 

Its not harming your pc in any way but Google can see what sites you are visiting because their servers cache the webpages you visit or they send you the cached pages when you try to open them .. I tried it and uninstalled it.. Like FallowEarth is saying, if you have broadband or even dial-up, its better to go without the accelerator ;)

also CABLE NUT IS A PEICE OF GARBAGE mark my words..... www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks is a very good tweaker i used that and it upped my speed 20 Kbps

ok buddy but i had messed up internet for a LOONG time until verizon found out they were messing my internet up i had 70Kbps and increased it to 90 now i have 180Kbps

programs dosent mess up internet, the ppl that using em wrong does.. 

cablenut is not garbage just beqause you didnt know how to use it

I agree that its harder to use then most other tweakprograms, but its also the most advanced and offer options to tweak upload aswell 

VanBuren

Just my 2 cents here:  I used CableNut sometime back for all 3 of my systems, and it gave me a slight improvement on all of them, using some of VanBuren's custom settings.  Something changed somewhere recently, I'm guessing something Verizon related since all 3 of my systems were affected.  Speeds got horrible.  After a month, I'm not fixed totally, but found that lowering my RWIN lower than either CableNut, TweakTester, or even the Windows default, has helped, at least to nearby test sites.  High RWIN's give me good results only to distant sites.  The point is, every setup is different.  That I have to set my RWIN so low is something that none of these tweaking programs probably never consider because it really doesn't make sense.  None of them have a preconfigured setting with an RWIN of 13068, which is what I need right now.  Why?  Because 99% of the time it would probably cripple a broadband connection.  Anyone with any real experience playing around with computers should know that there are always those situations that leave even the experts scratching their heads trying to come up with an answer that really isn't there.  Some things are just the way they are, just because that's the way they are.

Anyway, to say the program is junk, is wrong.  It does what it is supposed to do: it allows you to easily change various registry settings that relate to broadband connections.  It never crashes, and never screws up your computer.  The values you enter screw up your computer.  If those values don't help, you have every option to remove them, and find and enter ones that do.