Show off your desktop

RTB

ill post mine when i get home from school... and clean up the extremely large amount of icons i have on my desktop- theyre there because theyre mostly photoshop projects and it makes it easier to access them. lol i keep having to change my cpus resolution to fit all the icons in.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Its is true for the best use of resources desktop pics should not be used,they take up mem,but a blue background is just way to boring for me and I guess for lots of people.....but I sure have seen some kool ones posted here and we owe it all to ....RTB.....only because he was bored I think:)

8) Microwave

Because win98 has an abundence of memory leaks everywhere, as well as broadband speed problem.. My friend and i were on 98 on our older machines a few days ago. hooked our cable to the speed test via windows 98 it said our connection max was 1400 , then plugged it back up to xp machines ( same lan card, same cable) and got over 3mb/s :s You should upgrade, justin

Here is my desktop, pretty lame but its the cleanest iv'e seen so far!

any idea why my RAM usage is so high?

celeron 600 192 ram i dont get it!

Justin

Whoa, for a minute there, I thought that was the backround I created a while ago. It looks somewhat similar. Here, I'll show you.

Energy_Source.jpg

Because win98 has an abundence of memory leaks everywhere' date=' as well as broadband speed problem.. My friend and i were on 98 on our older machines a few days ago. hooked our cable to the speed test via windows 98 it said our connection max was 1400 , then plugged it back up to xp machines ( same lan card, same cable) and got over 3mb/s :s You should upgrade, justin[/quote']

Which can be fixed by the standard RWIN adjustments. It's true that Win98 has a default RWIN set for 56k... which is total crap.

Gregorama: Nice background. :)

Here's the 'final' version of my desktop:

do you think my coimptuer could RUN XP good?

I dont think it would run that great....

Ill post stats again

celeron 600

192 ram

30gb hd

all integrated vid/lan/sound

If your not going to play hevy games, your computer will run just fine. A friend of mine running a AMD 700 Mhz and 256 MB of RAM and it works, he can play NHL 2004 but its abit choppy.

In XP you can also tune it so it take less resourses, its not recommended to have a fat background image and all sorts of nice effects on a slow CPU system.

I would go for it !

XP min requriments is 64 MB of RAM, CPU im unsure, but i had it running on a Pentium 166 Mhz lol

VanBuren :)

i installed windows xp on my sisters old cruddy comp (700Mhz PIII, 128MB SDRAM), and it runs somewhat slow for startup(this is with minimal startup items), and it runs considerably slower than it did when it had Win98, but its a hell of a lot more stable

from experiencing it, i would recommed that if ur putting xp on a comp, have at least 256mb of ram

:) you can run XP with233MHzprocessor clock speed and 128MB RAM (64 possible) and a 1.5 gig hardrive the problem is that you cant use all features and things just don't run correctly, of course it depends what the intended use of the puter is.Windows 98se can run OK if it is setup properly....One of the things on running a computer today is that just for basic stuff you need at least 4 or 5 gig hard drive just for O.S. and regular stuff.next if you really want to do anything besides browse you need to have a lot more horse power.My min requirements are a lot more than that for just normal things....... and really as cheap as basic puters are today I think it is just easier to buy something that will give you a nice ride......but it is nice that for those that have to they are able to use an older box and get some of the benifits.....

8) Microwave

well its a celery 600 192 ram and 98 runs fine..actually never had a problem with it...

i just wanna upgrade to xp for aesthetic issues and bandwidth and more stability.........I donwloaded it off of s1 and im going to burn it, but is there anyway i can install xp on another part of the hard-drive, like a new partition, and keep 98se on their and run dual boot so i can choose? i really dont wanna format and end up not liking XP...

please give me your 2cents, id appreciate it!

Justin

is there anyway i can install xp on another part of the hard-drive, like a new partition, and keep 98se on their and run dual boot so i can choose? i really dont wanna format and end up not liking XP...

Justin

Yes you can, make a partion just for XP eg d: make sure its FAT 32 filesystem it should be atleast 15 GB big.

and then change boot sequense in BIOS so you can boot from XP cd.

follow install guide and when asked, install it on d: and leave FAT 32 filesystem.

XP will be installed and it also fix your boot, so you can choose what OS you like to start.

good luck

VanBuren :)